The Spatial Dimension of Trade- and FDI-driven Productivity Growth in Chinese Provinces – A Global Cointegration Approach
Since the introduction of its “open door” policy in the late 1970s, China has been attracting a growing share of FDI inflows and its international trade integration has advanced considerably. In this study, we take a closer look at the regional growth impact of the Chinese internationalization activity on labour productivity over the period 1979-2006. Our empirical analysis thereby extends the existing empirical literature by considering the likely spatial effects associated with Trade- and FDI-led growth in a dynamic error correction modelling framework. Our results indicate that, in the long-run relationship, regional labour productivity is indeed driven by direct and indirect spatial effects of FDI and trade activity next to further supply side factors such as the regional infrastructure equipment and human capital endowment. Similarly, in the short-run, changes in FDI activity and especially human capital variables are found to matter for the regional growth dynamics.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.rwi-essen.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.rwi-essen.de/publikationen/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lee, Lung-fei & Yu, Jihai, 2010. "Estimation of spatial autoregressive panel data models with fixed effects," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 165-185, February.
- Cem Ertur & Wilfried Koch, 2005.
"Growth, Technological Interdependence and Spatial Externalities - Theory and Evidence,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa05p651, European Regional Science Association.
- Cem Ertur & Wilfried Koch, 2007. "Growth, technological interdependence and spatial externalities: theory and evidence," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(6), pages 1033-1062.
- ERTUR, Cem & KOCH, Wilfried, 2005. "Growth, Technological Interdependence and Spatial Externalities: Theory and Evidence," LEG - Document de travail - Economie 2005-03, LEG, Laboratoire d'Economie et de Gestion, CNRS, Université de Bourgogne.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Georges Bresson & Alain Pirotte, 2006.
"Panel Unit Root Tests and Spatial Dependence,"
Center for Policy Research Working Papers
88, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Eckhardt Bode & Peter Nunnenkamp & Andreas Waldkirch, 2012.
"Spatial effects of foreign direct investment in US states,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 45(1), pages 16-40, February.
- Eckhardt Bode & Peter Nunnenkamp & Andreas Waldkirch, 2009. "Spatial Effects of Foreign Direct Investment in US States," Kiel Working Papers 1535, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Du, Luosha & Harrison, Ann & Jefferson, Gary, 2014.
"FDI Spillovers and Industrial Policy: The Role of Tariffs and Tax Holidays,"
Elsevier, vol. 64(C), pages 366-383.
- Luosha Du & Ann Harrison & Gary Jefferson, 2011. "FDI Spillovers and Industrial Policy: The Role of Tariffs and Tax Holidays," NBER Working Papers 16767, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Miguel Márquez & Julián Ramajo & Geoffrey Hewings, 2010. "A spatio-temporal econometric model of regional growth in Spain," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 207-226, June.
- Wolfgang Keller & Carol H. Shiue, 2003.
"The Origins of Spatial Interaction,"
NBER Working Papers
10069, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. Barkley Rosser, 2009. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Handbook of Research on Complexity, chapter 1 Edward Elgar.
- Selin Özyurt & Marie Daumal, 2013. "Trade openness and regional income spillovers in Brazil: A spatial econometric approach," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(1), pages 197-215, 03.
- Kao, Chihwa, 1999. "Spurious regression and residual-based tests for cointegration in panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 1-44, May.
- Haddad, Mona & Harrison, Ann, 1993. "Are there positive spillovers from direct foreign investment? : Evidence from panel data for Morocco," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 51-74, October.
- S. de Silva & K. Hadri & A. R. Tremayne, 2009. "Panel unit root tests in the presence of cross-sectional dependence: finite sample performance and an application," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 12(2), pages 340-366, 07.
- Ann E. Harrison & Brian J. Aitken, 1999. "Do Domestic Firms Benefit from Direct Foreign Investment? Evidence from Venezuela," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 605-618, June.
- Blonigen, Bruce A. & Davies, Ronald B. & Waddell, Glen R. & Naughton, Helen T., 2007.
"FDI in space: Spatial autoregressive relationships in foreign direct investment,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 51(5), pages 1303-1325, July.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Ronald B. Davies & Glen R. Waddell & Helen T. Naughton, 2004. "FDI in Space: Spatial Autoregressive Relationships in Foreign Direct Investment," NBER Working Papers 10939, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yang, Ling & Lahr, Michael L., 2010. "Sources of Chinese labor productivity growth: A structural decomposition analysis, 1987-2005," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 557-570, December.
- Miguel Márquez & Julián Ramajo & Geoffrey Hewings, 2010. "Measuring the spillover effects of public capital: a bi-regional structural vector autoregressive analysis," Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 111-125, October.
- Michael Beenstock & Daniel Felsenstein, 2010. "Spatial error correction and cointegration in nonstationary panel data: regional house prices in Israel," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 189-206, June.
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Eran Segev, 2000.
"Foreign Direct Investment in China: A Spatial Econometric Study,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(1), pages 1-23, 01.
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Eran Segev, 1999. "Foreign direct investment in China: a spatial econometric study," Working Papers 1999-001, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Xu, Bin, 2000. "Multinational enterprises, technology diffusion, and host country productivity growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 477-493, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rwi:repape:0308. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Weiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.