Testing the Neoclassical Migration Model: Overall and Age-Group Specific Results for German Regions
This paper tests the empirical validity of the neoclassical migration model in predicting German internal migration flows. We estimate static and dynamic migration functions for 97 Spatial Planning Regions between 1996 and 2006 using key labor market signals including income and unemployment differences among a broader set of explanatory variables. Besides an aggregate specification we also estimate the model for agegroup related subsamples. Our results give empirical support for the main transmission channels identified by the neoclassical framework – both at the aggregate level as well as for age-group specific estimates. Thereby, the impact of labor market signals is tested to be of greatest magnitude for workforce relevant age-groups and especially young cohorts between 18 to 25 and 25 to 30 years. This latter result underlines the prominent role played by labor market conditions in determining internal migration rates of the working population in Germany.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.rwi-essen.de/Email:
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.rwi-essen.de/publikationen/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlo Devillanova & Walter García-Fontes, .
"Migration across Spanish Provinces: Evidence fron the Social Scurity Records (1978-1992),"
Studies on the Spanish Economy
- Carlo Devillanova & Walter García-Fontes, 2004. "Migration across Spanish provinces: evidence from the social security records (1978-1992)," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 28(3), pages 461-487, September.
- Carlo Devillanova & Walter Garcia Fontes, 1998. "Migration across Spanish provinces: Evidence from the social security records (1978-1992)," Economics Working Papers 318, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Christian Dreger & Georg Erber & Daniela Glocker, 2011.
"Regional measures of human capital in the European Union,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa10p337, European Regional Science Association.
- Dreger, Christian & Erber, Georg & Glocker, Daniela, 2009. "Regional Measures of Human Capital in the European Union," IZA Discussion Papers 3919, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Christian Dreger & Georg Erber & Daniela Glocker, 2008. "Regional Measures of Human Capital in the European Union," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 137, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rwi:repape:0226. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Weiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.