Much Ado About Nothing? – Smoking Bans and Germany’s Hospitality Industry
Over the last years, public smoking bans have been introduced in most European countries. Unlike elsewhere, in Germany such bans were introduced at state level at diff erent points in time, which provides important intra-country regional variation that can be exploited to identify the eff ects of such bans on the hospitality industry. Using monthly data from a compulsory survey carried out by the German Federal Statistical Offi ce, we study the short-run eff ects that these bans had on establishments’ sales. In contrast to the largely US-based literature, we fi nd that smoke-free policies had a negative (yet moderate) eff ect on establishment sales. Closure rates of businesses in the hospitality industry, however, were not signifi cantly aff ected by the introduction of state smoking bans.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hohenzollernstraße 1-3, 45128 Essen|
Web page: http://www.rwi-essen.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.rwi-essen.de/publikationen/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rajeev K. Goel & Michael A. Nelson, 2006. "The Effectiveness of Anti-Smoking Legislation: A Review," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(3), pages 325-355, 07.
- Adams Scott & Cotti Chad D., 2007. "The Effect of Smoking Bans on Bars and Restaurants: An Analysis of Changes in Employment," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-34, February.
- David W. Cowling & Philip Bond, 2005. "Smoke-free laws and bar revenues in California - the last call," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(12), pages 1273-1281.
- Robert K. Fleck & F. Andrew Hanssen, 2008. "Why Understanding Smoking Bans Is Important For Estimating Their Effects: California'S Restaurant Smoking Bans And Restaurant Sales," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 46(1), pages 60-76, 01.
- Jerome Adda & Francesca Cornaglia, 2005.
"The effects of taxes and bans on passive smoking,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP20/05, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Adda, Jérôme & Cornaglia, Francesca, 2006. "The Effect of Taxes and Bans on Passive Smoking," IZA Discussion Papers 2191, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jérôme Adda & Francesca Cornaglia, 2006. "The Effect of Taxes and Bans on Passive Smoking," CEPR Discussion Papers 509, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Gabriel M. Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2010.
"Impact of Non-smoking Ordinances on Hospitality Revenues: The Case of Germany,"
Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik),
Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 230(5), pages 506-521, October.
- Gabriel Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2009. "Impact of Non-Smoking Ordinances on Hospitality Revenues: The Case of Germany," Working Papers 026, Chair for Economic Policy, University of Hamburg.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rwi:repape:0172. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Weiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.