Prospective NATO or EU Membership and Institutional Change in Transition Countries
This paper quantifies the impact of incentives related to potential membership on institutional change as measured by the World Bank Governance Indicators (WBGI). Based on a panel of 25 transition countries for the period from 1996 to 2008 we show that pre-accession incentives provided by EU and NATOclearly matter for institutional development. In addition, path-dependency determined by cultural norms may be overcome by economic liberalization while foreign aid seems to hamper institutional development.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hohenzollernstraße 1-3, 45128 Essen|
Web page: http://www.rwi-essen.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.rwi-essen.de/publikationen/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ansgar Belke & Julia Spies, 2008.
"Enlarging the EMU to the east: what effects on trade?,"
Springer, vol. 35(4), pages 369-389, September.
- Belke, Ansgar H. & Spies, Julia, 2008. "Enlarging the EMU to the East: What Effects on Trade?," IZA Discussion Papers 3647, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Belke, Ansgar & Spies, Julia, 2007. "Enlarging the EMU to the east: What effects on trade?," Ruhr Economic Papers 21, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung (RWI), Ruhr-University Bochum, TU Dortmund University, University of Duisburg-Essen.
- Rainer Thiele & Peter Nunnenkamp & Axel Dreher, 2010.
"Do Donors Target Aid in Line with the Millennium Development Goals? A Sector Perspective of Aid Allocation,"
- Rainer Thiele & Peter Nunnenkamp & Axel Dreher, 2007. "Do Donors Target Aid in Line with the Millennium Development Goals? A Sector Perspective of Aid Allocation," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 143(4), pages 596-630, December.
- Thiele, Rainer & Nunnenkamp, Peter & Dreher, Axel, 2007. "Do Donors Target Aid in Line with the Millennium Development Goals? A Sector Perspective of Aid Allocation," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Thiele, Rainer & Nunnenkamp, Peter & Dreher, Axel, 2007. "Do donors target aid in line with the millennium development goals? A sector perspective of aid allocation," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 4164, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Stijn Claessens & Danny Cassimon, 2007.
"Empirical evidence on the new international aid architecture,"
WEF Working Papers
0026, ESRC World Economy and Finance Research Programme, Birkbeck, University of London.
- Cassimon, Danny & Claessens, Stijn & Campenhout, Bjorn van, 2007. "Empirical Evidence on the New International Aid Architecture," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Göttingen 2007 2, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Danny Cassimon & Stijn Claessens & Bjorn Van Campenhout, 2007. "Empirical Evidence on the New International Aid Architecture," IMF Working Papers 07/277, International Monetary Fund.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin & Arvind Subramanian, 2013.
"Addressing the Natural Resource Curse: An Illustration from Nigeria,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 22(4), pages 570-615, August.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin & Arvind Subramanian, 2003. "Addressing the Natural Resource Curse: An Illustration from Nigeria," NBER Working Papers 9804, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martín & Arvind Subramanian, 2003. "Addressing the natural resource curse: An illustration from Nigeria," Economics Working Papers 685, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Arvind Subramanian & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 2003. "Addressing the Natural Resource Curse; An Illustration From Nigeria," IMF Working Papers 03/139, International Monetary Fund.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Johnson, Simon & Robinson, James A & Yared, Pierre, 2007.
"Reevaluating the Modernization Hypothesis,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6430, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Raghuram Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2007. "Does Aid Affect Governance?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(2), pages 322-327, May.
- Sandler, Todd & Hartley, Keith, 1999. "The Political Economy of Nato: Past, Present, and into the 21st Century," Staff General Research Papers 1441, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Stock, James H & Wright, Jonathan H & Yogo, Motohiro, 2002. "A Survey of Weak Instruments and Weak Identification in Generalized Method of Moments," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(4), pages 518-29, October.
- Paldam, Martin, 2002. "The cross-country pattern of corruption: economics, culture and the seesaw dynamics," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 215-240, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rwi:repape:0131. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Weiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.