Measuring Energy Supply Risks: A G7 Ranking
The security of energy supply has again become a similarly hot topic as it was during the oil crises in the 1970s, not least due to the recent historical oil price peaks. In this paper, we analyze the energy security situation of the G7 countries using a statistical risk indicator and empirical energy data for the years 1978 through 2007.We find that Germany’s energy supply risk has risen substantially since the oil price crises of the 1970s, whereas France has managed to reduce its risk dramatically, most notably through the deployment of nuclear power plants. As a result of the legally stipulated nuclear phase-out, Germany’s supply risk can be expected to rise further and to approach the level of Italy.Due to its resource poverty, Italy has by far the highest energy supply risk among G7 countries.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.rwi-essen.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.rwi-essen.de/publikationen/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Costantini, Valeria & Gracceva, Francesco & Markandya, Anil & Vicini, Giorgio, 2007.
"Security of energy supply: Comparing scenarios from a European perspective,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 210-226, January.
- Giorgio Vicini & Francesco Gracceva & Anil Markandya & Valeria Costantini, 2005. "Security of Energy Supply: Comparing Scenarios From a European Perspective," Working Papers 2005.89, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Grubb, M. & Butler, L. & Sinden, G., 2005.
"Diversity and Security in UK Electricity Generation: The Influence of Low Carbon Objectives,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0511, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Grubb, Michael & Butler, Lucy & Twomey, Paul, 2006. "Diversity and security in UK electricity generation: The influence of low-carbon objectives," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 4050-4062, December.
- Manuel Frondel & Rainer Kambeck & Christoph M. Schmidt, 2006.
"Hard Coal Subsidies: A Never-Ending Story?,"
RWI Discussion Papers
0053, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung.
- Manuel Frondel & Christoph M. Schmidt, 2008. "Measuring Energy Security – A Conceptual Note," Ruhr Economic Papers 0052, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Manuel Frondel & Christoph M. Schmidt, 2009. "Am Tropf Russlands? Ein Konzept zur empirischen Messung von Energieversorgungssicherheit," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 10(1), pages 79-91, 02.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rwi:repape:0104. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Weiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.