Stochastic Revealed Preference and Rationalizability
This paper explorers rationalizability issues for finite sets of observations of stochastic choice in the framework introduced by Bandyopadhyay et al. (JET, 1999). Is is argued that a useful approach is to consider indirect preferences on budgets instead of direct preferences on commodity bundles. Stochastic choices are rationalizable in terms of stochastic orderings on the normalized price space if and only if there exits a solution to a linear feasibility problem. Together with the weak axiom of stochastic revealed preference the existence of a solution implies rationalizability in terms of stochastic orderings on the commodity space. Furthermore it is shown that the problem of finding sufficiency conditions for binary choice probabilities to be rationalizable bears similarities to the problem considered here.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hohenzollernstraße 1-3, 45128 Essen|
Web page: http://www.rwi-essen.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.rwi-essen.de/publikationen/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel McFadden, 2005. "Revealed stochastic preference: a synthesis," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 26(2), pages 245-264, 08.
- repec:zbw:rwirep:0036 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sakai, Yasuhiro, 1977. "Revealed favorability, indirect utility, and direct utility," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 113-129, February.
- Hugh Rose, 1958. "Consistency of Preference: The Two-Commodity Case," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(2), pages 124-125.
- Little, James T., 1979. "Indirect preferences," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 182-193, April.
- Heufer, Jan, 2007. "Revealed Preference and the Number of Commodities," Ruhr Economic Papers 36, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-University Bochum, TU Dortmund University, University of Duisburg-Essen.
- Varian, Hal R, 1982. "The Nonparametric Approach to Demand Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 945-73, July.
- Bandyopadhyay, Taradas & Dasgupta, Indraneel & Pattanaik, Prasanta K., 1999. "Stochastic Revealed Preference and the Theory of Demand," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 95-110, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rwi:repape:0070. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Weiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.