Effects of Job Entry Restrictions on Economic Integration - Evidence for Recent Ethnic German Immigrants
We analyze the impact of job entry restrictions on the economic integration of recent ethnic German immigrants, using twelve waves of the German Socio-Economic Panel.The German labor market closely ties job accessibility to vocational education which likely hampers the transferability of foreign human capital. To assess this effect, we compare the job mismatch probabilities of ethnic German immigrants and German natives and the employment probability in jobs that vary by the qualifications they require. Our results suggest that ethnic Germans are disadvantaged upon arrival, yet almost completely assimilate to comparable natives considering these two job quality measures. Furthermore, controlling for these factors explains a considerable share of the earnings gap between ethnic and native Germans.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.rwi-essen.de/Email:
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.rwi-essen.de/publikationen/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Groot, Wim & Maassen van den Brink, Henriette, 2000. "Overeducation in the labor market: a meta-analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 149-158, April.
- Schmidt Christoph Μ., 1996. "German Economic Growth After the Demise of Socialism: The Potential Contribution of East-West Migration," Jahrbuch für Wirtschaftsgeschichte / Economic History Yearbook, De Gruyter, vol. 37(2), pages 109-126, December.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "On the Pooling of Time Series and Cross Section Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 69-85, January.
- Fertig, Michael & Schurer, Stefanie, 2007.
"Labour Market Outcomes of Immigrants in Germany: The Importance of Heterogeneity and Attrition Bias,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2915, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Michael Fertig & Stefanie Schurer, 2007. "Labour Market Outcomes of Immigrants in Germany – The Importance of Heterogeneity and Attrition Bias," Ruhr Economic Papers 0020, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Borjas, George J, 1985. "Assimilation, Changes in Cohort Quality, and the Earnings of Immigrants," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 3(4), pages 463-89, October.
- Michaela Kreyenfeld & Dirk Konietzka, 2001. "The transferability of foreign educational credentials - the case of ethnic German migrants in the German labor market," MPIDR Working Papers WP-2001-002, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 1995. "Selection corrections for panel data models under conditional mean independence assumptions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 115-132, July.
- Harriet Duleep & Mark Regets, 1997. "Measuring immigrant wage growth using matched CPS files," Demography, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 239-249, May.
- Altonji, Joseph G. & Blank, Rebecca M., 1999.
"Race and gender in the labor market,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 48, pages 3143-3259
- Dustmann, C, 1993. "Earnings Adjustment of Temporary Migrants," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 153-68, May.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1984. "Panel data," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 22, pages 1247-1318 Elsevier.
- Duncan, Greg J. & Hoffman, Saul D., 1981. "The incidence and wage effects of overeducation," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 75-86, February.
- Bauer, Thomas & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 1997.
"Unemployment and wages of ethnic Germans,"
The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 37(Supplemen), pages 361-377.
- Sattinger, Michael, 1993. "Assignment Models of the Distribution of Earnings," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(2), pages 831-80, June.
- Bauer, Thomas K., 2002. "Educational mismatch and wages: a panel analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 221-229, June.
- Chiswick, Barry R, 1978. "The Effect of Americanization on the Earnings of Foreign-born Men," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(5), pages 897-921, October.
- Maarten Wolbers, 2002. "Job Mismatches and their Labour Market Effects among School-leavers in Europe," MZES Working Papers 47, MZES.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rwi:repape:0025. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Weiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.