Determinants of Savings and Remittances – Empirical Evidence from Immigrants to Germany
This paper investigates the determinants of migrants’ financial transfers to their home country using German data.A double-hurdle model is applied to analyze the determinants of the propensity to send transfers abroad and the amount of transfers.The findings reveal that return intentions positively affect financial transfers of immigrants to their home country. Moreover, while the effect of the household size on migrants’ transfers abroad turns out to be significantly negative, remittances are higher if close relatives live in the sending country. Finally,Vuong-tests indicate that the double-hurdle model is the correct specification for the analysis of migrants’ savings and remittances rather than the conventional Tobit model usually applied in the literature.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hohenzollernstraße 1-3, 45128 Essen|
Web page: http://www.rwi-essen.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.rwi-essen.de/publikationen/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Sinning, Mathias, 2005.
"The Savings Behavior of Temporary and Permanent Migrants in Germany,"
RWI Discussion Papers
29, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung.
- Thomas Bauer & Mathias Sinning, 2011. "The savings behavior of temporary and permanent migrants in Germany," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 24(2), pages 421-449, April.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Sinning, Mathias, 2005. "The Savings Behavior of Temporary and Permanent Migrants in Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 1632, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bauer, Thomas & Sinning, Mathias, 2005. "The Savings Behaviour of Temporary and Permanent Migrants in Germany," CEPR Discussion Papers 5102, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ilahi, Nadeem & Jafarey, Saqib, 1999. "Guestworker migration, remittances and the extended family: evidence from Pakistan," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 485-512, April.
- Basilio, Leilanie & Bauer, Thomas K. & Sinning, Mathias, 2009.
"Analyzing the labor market activity of immigrant families in Germany,"
Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 510-520, October.
- Leilanie Basilio & Thomas K. Bauer & Mathias Sinning, 2007. "Analyzing the Labor Market Activity of Immigrant Families in Germany," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 38, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Basilio, Leilanie & Bauer, Thomas K. & Sinning, Mathias, 2007. "Analyzing the Labor Market Activity of Immigrant Families in Germany," Ruhr Economic Papers 24, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-University Bochum, TU Dortmund University, University of Duisburg-Essen.
- Basilio, Leilanie & Bauer, Thomas K. & Sinning, Mathias, 2007. "Analyzing the Labor Market Activity of Immigrant Families in Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 2989, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cragg, John G, 1971. "Some Statistical Models for Limited Dependent Variables with Application to the Demand for Durable Goods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(5), pages 829-44, September.
- Rapoport, Hillel & Docquier, Frédéric, 2005.
"The Economics of Migrants’ Remittances,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1531, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rapoport, Hillel & Docquier, Frederic, 2006. "The Economics of Migrants' Remittances," Handbook on the Economics of Giving, Reciprocity and Altruism, Elsevier.
- Zimmermann, Klaus F. (ed.), 2005. "European Migration: What Do We Know?," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199257355, December.
- DeVoretz, Don J. & Vadean, Florin, 2005. "A Model of Foreign-Born Transfers: Evidence from Canadian Micro Data," IZA Discussion Papers 1714, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Edgard R. Rodriguez & Susan Horton, 1995. "International Return Migration and Remittances in the Philippines," Working Papers horton-95-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- repec:zbw:rwidps:0029 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yen, Steven T. & Boxall, Peter C. & Adamowicz, Wiktor L., 1997. "An Econometric Analysis Of Donations For Environmental Conservation In Canada," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(02), pages -, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rwi:repape:0023. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Weiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.