Liberalization of Opening Hours with Free Entry
This paper studies competition in prices and opening hours in a model with free entry. It is shown that under free competition a market failure arises: Entry is excessive and opening hours are under-provided. Restrictions on opening hours aggravate this failure. I analyze the impact of a liberalization of opening hours. The model predicts that in the short run prices will remain constant, but increase in the long run. Concentration in the retail sector will rise and opening hours will increase in two steps, immediately after deregulation and further over time. Finally, employment in the retail sector increases.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hohenzollernstraße 1-3, 45128 Essen|
Web page: http://www.rwi-essen.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.rwi-essen.de/publikationen/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven C. Salop, 1979. "Monopolistic Competition with Outside Goods," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 141-156, Spring.
- Inderst, Roman & Irmen, Andreas, 2001.
"Shopping Hours and Price Competition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3001, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, March.
- Clemenz, Gerhard, 1990. "Non-sequential consumer search and the consequences of a deregulation of trading hours," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1323-1337, November.
- Claude Crampes & Carole Haritchabalet & Bruno Jullien, 2005.
"Advertising, Competition and Entry in Media Industries,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1591, CESifo Group Munich.
- Crampes, Claude & Haritchabalet, Carole & Jullien, Bruno, 2006. "Advertising, Competition and Entry in Media Industries," IDEI Working Papers 374, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Shy, Oz & Stenbacka, Rune, 2006. "Service hours with asymmetric distributions of ideal service time," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 763-771, July.
- Economides, Nicholas, 1993. "Quality variations in the circular model of variety-differentiated products," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 235-257, April.
- Skuterud, Mikal, 2005. "The impact of Sunday shopping on employment and hours of work in the retail industry: Evidence from Canada," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(8), pages 1953-1978, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rwi:repape:0013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Weiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.