The Effectiveness of Qualification Measures for Employed Workers – An Evaluation Study for Saxony
This paper investigates whether and to what extent employment policy measures (co-) financed by the European Social Fund in Germany meet their objective. Specifically, it is analyzed whether qualification programs for employed workers in the German state of Saxony were effective in terms of employment protection.To this end, a control function approach is implemented which utilizes a unique firm-level dataset. This model explicitly accounts for unobserved heterogeneity between participating and non-participating companies by modeling the participation decision process. Our results suggest a positive effect of program participation. However, this positive treatment effect varies considerably across different sub-groups of the treatment as well as the comparison group.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.rwi-essen.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.rwi-essen.de/publikationen/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hujer, Reinhard & Caliendo, Marco & Zeiss, Christopher & Blien, Uwe, 2002.
"Macroeconometric evaluation of active labour market policies in Germany - a dynamic panel approach using regional data,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa02p225, European Regional Science Association.
- Reinhard Hujer & Uwe Blien & Marco Caliendo & Christopher Zeiss, 2006. "Macroeconometric Evaluation of Active Labour Market Policies in Germany. A Dynamic Panel Approach Using Regional Data," AIEL Series in Labour Economics, in: Floro Ernesto Caroleo & Sergio Destefanis (ed.), The European Labour Market. Regional Dimensions, edition 1, chapter 14, pages 287-309 AIEL - Associazione Italiana Economisti del Lavoro.
- Hujer, Reinhard & Blien, Uwe & Caliendo, Marco & Zeiss, Christopher, 2002. "Macroeconometric Evaluation of Active Labour Market Policies in Germany – A Dynamic Panel Approach Using Regional Data," IZA Discussion Papers 616, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lechner, Michael, 1996.
"An Evaluation of Public Sector Sponsored Continuous Vocational Training Programs in East Germany,"
539, Institut fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre und Statistik, Abteilung fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre.
- Michael Lechner, 2000. "An Evaluation of Public-Sector-Sponsored Continuous Vocational Training Programs in East Germany," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 35(2), pages 347-375.
- Lechner, Michael, 1999. "An Evaluation of Public-Sector-Sponsored Continuous Vocational Training Programs in East Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 93, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Calmfors, Lars & Skedinger, Per, 1995.
"Does Active Labor Market Policy Increase Employment? Theoretical Considerations and Some Empirical Evidence from Sweden,"
Working Paper Series
429, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Calmfors, Lars & Skedinger, Per, 1995. "Does Active Labour-Market Policy Increase Employment? Theoretical Considerations and Some Empirical Evidence from Sweden," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(1), pages 91-109, Spring.
- Calmfors, L. & Skedinger, P., 1995. "Does Active Labour Market Policy Increase Employment? - Theoretical Considerations and Some Empirical Evidence from Sweden," Papers 590, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Fertig, Michael & Schmidt, Christoph M. & Schneider, Hilmar, 2002.
"Active Labor Market Policy in Germany – Is There a Successful Policy Strategy?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
576, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Fertig, Michael & Schmidt, Christoph M. & Schneider, Hilmar, 2006. "Active labor market policy in Germany--Is there a successful policy strategy?," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 399-430, May.
- Fertig, Michael & Schmidt, Christoph M., 2000. "Discretionary Measures of Active Labor Market Policy: The German Employment Promotion Reform in Perspective," IZA Discussion Papers 182, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Fitzenberger, Bernd & Prey, Hedwig, 2000. "Evaluating Public Sector Sponsored Training in East Germany," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 52(3), pages 497-520, July.
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Lechner, Michael, 1999. "Earnings and Employment Effects of Continuous Off-the-Job Training in East Germany after Unification," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(1), pages 74-90, January.
- Jochen Kluve & Christoph M. Schmidt, 2002. "Can training and employment subsidies combat European unemployment?," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 17(35), pages 409-448, October.
- Reinhard Hujer & Kai-Oliver Maurer & Marc Wellner, 1999. "Estimating the Effect of Vocational Training on Unemployment Duration in West Germany: A Discrete Hazard Rate Model with Instrumental Variables," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 218(5+6), pages 619-646, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rwi:dpaper:0010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Weiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.