Cournot Competition and Endogenous Firm Size
We study the dynamics of firm size in a repeated Cournot game with unkown demand function. We model the firm as a type of artificial neural network. Each period it must learn to map environmental signals to both demand parameters and its rival's output choice. But this learning game is in the background, and we focus on the endogenous adjustment of network size. We investigate the long-run behavior of firm/network size as a function of profits, rival's size, and the type of adjustment rules used.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (973) 353-5259
Web page: http://www.ncas.rutgers.edu/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan W. Rivkin & Nicolaj Siggelkow, 2003. "Balancing Search and Stability: Interdependencies Among Elements of Organizational Design," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(3), pages 290-311, March.
- Evans, David S., 1986.
"Tests of Alternative Theories of Firm Growth,"
86-36, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Myong-Hun Chang & Joseph E Harrington Jr, 2004.
"Agent-Based Models of Organizations,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
515, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Jason Barr & Francesco Saraceno, 2004.
"Organization, Learning and Cooperation,"
- Jason Barr & Francesco Saraceno, 2009. "Organization, learning and cooperation," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/9832, Sciences Po.
- Jason Barr & Francesco Saraceno, 2004. "Organization, Learning and Cooperation," Sciences Po publications 2004-001, Sciences Po.
- Jason Barr & Francesco Saraceno, 2009. "Organization, learning and cooperation," Post-Print hal-01052800, HAL.
- Jason Barr & Francesco Saraceno, 2004. "Organization, Learning and Cooperation," Working Papers hal-01065495, HAL.
- Stephen Nickell, 1993.
"Competition and Corporate Performance,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0182, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Radner, Roy, 1993. "The Organization of Decentralized Information Processing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(5), pages 1109-46, September.
- Stephen J. DeCanio & William E. Watkins, .
"Information Processing and Organizational Structure,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 1997
163, Society for Computational Economics.
- DeCanio, Stephen J. & Watkins, William E., 1998. "Information processing and organizational structure," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 275-294, August.
- Barr, Jason & Saraceno, Francesco, 2002. "A computational theory of the firm," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 345-361, November.
- Alfred D. Chandler, 1969. "Strategy and Structure: Chapters in the History of the American Industrial Enterprise," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262530090, June.
- Barr, Jason & Saraceno, Francesco, 2005. "Cournot competition, organization and learning," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 29(1-2), pages 277-295, January.
- Martin Currie & Stan Metcalfe, 2001. "Firm routines, customer switching and market selection under duopoly," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 433-456.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:run:wpaper:2005-001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vlad Manole)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.