Preferences, the Agenda Setter, and the Distribution of Power in the EU
In this paper we present a generalization of power indices which includes the preferences of the voters. Using a Multilinear Extension perspective (Owen, 1972a) we measure the probability of the players' voting 'yes' for a particular political issue. Further, we randomize the issues and show the influence that the Agenda Setter can have on a player's power.We demonstrate these results using data from the European Union to show how the power distribution may shift after enlargement and under the new Constitutional Treaty.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 360 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd., Newark, NJ 07102|
Phone: (973) 353-5259
Web page: http://www.ncas.rutgers.edu/economics
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barr, Jason & Passarelli, Francesco, 2009.
"Who has the power in the EU?,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 339-366, May.
- Stefan Napel & Mika Widgrén, 2006.
"The Inter-Institutional Distribution of Power in EU Codecision,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 129-154, August.
- Napel, Stefan & Widgren, Mika, 2004. "The Inter-institutional Distribution of Power in EU Codecision," Discussion Papers 944, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Stefan Napel & Mika Widgrén, 2004. "The Inter-Institutional Distribution of Power in EU Codecision," CESifo Working Paper Series 1347, CESifo Group Munich.
- Baldwin, Richard & Widgrén, Mika, 2004. "Winners and Losers Under Various Dual Majority Rules for the EU Council of Ministers," CEPR Discussion Papers 4450, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:run:wpaper:2004-012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vlad Manole)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.