The Unholy Trinity: Fat Tails, Tail Dependence, and Micro-Correlations
Recent events in the financial and insurance markets, as well as the looming challenges of a globally changing climate point to the need to re-think the ways in which we measure and manage catastrophic and dependent risks. Management can only be as good as our measurement tools. To that end, this paper outlines detection, measurement, and analysis strategies for fat-tailed risks, tail dependent risks, and risks characterized by micro-correlations. A simple model of insurance demand and supply is used to illustrate the difficulties in insuring risks characterized by these phenomena. Policy implications are discussed.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erwann Michel-Kerjan & Frederic Morlaye, 2008. "Extreme Events, Global Warming, and Insurance-Linked Securities: How to Trigger the “Tipping Point”," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan;The Geneva Association, vol. 33(1), pages 153-176, January.
- Kousky, Carolyn & Luttmer, Erzo F. P. & Zeckhauser, Richard, 2006.
"Private Investment and Government Protection,"
Working Paper Series
rwp06-017, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Kousky, Carolyn & Cooke, Roger, 2009. "Climate Change and Risk Management: Challenges for Insurance, Adaptation, and Loss Estimation," Discussion Papers dp-09-03-rev, Resources For the Future.
- Ladoucette, Sophie A. & Teugels, Jef L., 2006. "Analysis of risk measures for reinsurance layers," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 630-639, June.
- Neil A. Doherty & Harris Schlesinger, 2001. "Insurance Contracts and Securitization," CESifo Working Paper Series 559, CESifo Group Munich.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 2015.
"The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: THE WORLD SCIENTIFIC HANDBOOK OF FUTURES MARKETS, chapter 3, pages 39-78
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Colin F. Camerer & Howard Kunreuther, 1989. "Decision processes for low probability events: Policy implications," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(4), pages 565-592.
- Milidonis, Andreas & Grace, Martin F., 2008. "Tax-Deductible Pre-Event Catastrophe Loss Reserves: The Case of Florida," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(01), pages 13-51, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rff:dpaper:dp-09-36-rev.pdf. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.