Testing Habits In An Asset Pricing Model
We develop a model of asset pricing assuming that investor's behavior is habit forming. The model predicts that the effect of consumption growth shocks on the risk premium depends on the business cycle phase of the economy. This empirical implication is tested with a Markovswitching VAR model on the US postwar economy. The results show that the response of the risk premium to shocks to consumption is not significantly different over the business cycle phases of the economy. We interpret this as evidence against the habit formation hypothesis of the investor's behavior.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:||2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Ostiense, 161, 00154 ROMA|
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/centri/crei/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Melisso Boschi & Aditya Goenka, 2007.
"Relative Risk Aversion And The Transmission Of Financial Crises,"
CAMA Working Papers
2007-28, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Boschi, Melisso & Goenka, Aditya, 2012. "Relative risk aversion and the transmission of financial crises," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 85-99.
- Ehrmann, Michael & Ellison, Martin & Valla, Natacha, 2001.
"Regime-dependent impulse response functions in a Markov-switching vector autoregression model,"
Research Discussion Papers
11/2001, Bank of Finland.
- Ehrmann, Michael & Ellison, Martin & Valla, Natacha, 2003. "Regime-dependent impulse response functions in a Markov-switching vector autoregression model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(3), pages 295-299, March.
- Phillip A. Braun & George M. Constantinides & Wayne E. Ferson, 1992.
"Time Nonseparability in Aggregate Consumption: International Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
4104, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Braun, Phillip A. & Constantinides, George M. & Ferson, Wayne E., 1993. "Time nonseparability in aggregate consumption : International evidence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 897-920, June.
- repec:acb:camaaa:2007-28 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wayne E. Ferson & George M. Constantinides, 1991.
"Habit Persistence and Durability in Aggregate Consumption: Empirical Tests,"
NBER Working Papers
3631, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ferson, Wayne E. & Constantinides, George M., 1991. "Habit persistence and durability in aggregate consumption: Empirical tests," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 199-240, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rcr:wpaper:05_09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francesca Vaino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.