Why Do Researchers Collaborate With Industry? An Analysis Of The Wine Sector In Chile, South Africa And Italy
This paper explores the determinants of the linkages between industry and research organizations – including universities. We present new evidence on three wine producing areas – Piedmont, a region of Italy, Chile, South Africa - that have successfully reacted to the recent structural changes experienced in the industry worldwide. Based on an original data-set, we carry out an econometric exercise to study the microeconomic determinants of researchers' collaborations with industry. The evidence reveals that individual researcher characteristics, such as embeddedness in the academic system, age and sex, matter more than their publishing record or formal degrees.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:||2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Ostiense, 161, 00154 ROMA|
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/centri/crei/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Moulton, Brent R., 1986. "Random group effects and the precision of regression estimates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 385-397, August.
- Anderson, Kym & Norman, David & Wittwer, Glyn, 2002.
"Globalization of the Worlds Wine Markets,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3169, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Louis, Karen Seashore & Jones, Lisa M. & Anderson, Melissa S. & Blumenthal, David & Campbell, Eric G., 2001. "Entrepreneurship, Secrecy, and Productivity: A Comparison of Clinical and Non-clinical Life Sciences Faculty," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 233-45, June.
- Pablo D'Este & Roberto Fontana, 2007. "What drives the emergence of entrepreneurial academics? A study on collaborative research partnerships in the UK," Research Evaluation, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(4), pages 257-270, December.
- Andrea Morrison & Roberta Rabellotti, 2007.
"The Role of Research in Wine: the Emergence of a Regional Research Area in an Italian Wine Production System,"
114, SEMEQ Department - Faculty of Economics - University of Eastern Piedmont.
- Andrea Morrison & Roberta Rabellotti, 2006. "The Role of Research in Wine: the Emergence of a Regional Research Area in an Italian Wine Production System," ERSA conference papers ersa06p199, European Regional Science Association.
- Mowery, David C. & Nelson, Richard R. & Sampat, Bhaven N. & Ziedonis, Arvids A., 2001. "The growth of patenting and licensing by U.S. universities: an assessment of the effects of the Bayh-Dole act of 1980," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 99-119, January.
- Réjean Landry & Nabil Amara & Mathieu Ouimet, 2007. "Determinants of knowledge transfer: evidence from Canadian university researchers in natural sciences and engineering," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 32(6), pages 561-592, December.
- Friedman, Joseph & Silberman, Jonathan, 2003. "University Technology Transfer: Do Incentives, Management, and Location Matter?," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 17-30, January.
- D'Este, P. & Patel, P., 2007. "University-industry linkages in the UK: What are the factors underlying the variety of interactions with industry?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 1295-1313, November.
- Schartinger, Doris & Rammer, Christian & Fischer, Manfred M. & Frohlich, Josef, 2002. "Knowledge interactions between universities and industry in Austria: sectoral patterns and determinants," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 303-328, March.
- Levin, Sharon G & Stephan, Paula E, 1991. "Research Productivity over the Life Cycle: Evidence for Academic Scientists," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 114-32, March.
- Gulbrandsen, Magnus & Smeby, Jens-Christian, 2005. "Industry funding and university professors' research performance," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 932-950, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rcr:wpaper:01_09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francesca Vaino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.