The African Moment: On the Brink of a Development Breakthrough
This paper presents some of the evidence that underlies the recent change in perceptions on African development and we discuss some of the key challenges facing the continent going forward. It intends to generate a debate among UNDP senior managers in Sub-Saharan Africa and aims to make the paper a common point of reference for the Organization’s analysis of the challenges and opportunities facing the continent.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: One United Nations Plaza, New York, New York 10017|
Web page: http://www.africa.undp.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lucie Gadenne & Victor D. Lledó & Irene Yackovlev, 2011.
"A Tale of Cyclicality, Aid Flows and Debt: Government Spending in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
- Victor D. Lledó & Irene Yackovlev & Lucie Gadenne, 2011. "A Tale of Cyclicality, Aid Flows and Debt: Government Spending in Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 20(5), pages 823-849, November.
- Irene Yackovlev & Victor Duarte Lledo & Lucie Gadenne, 2009. "Cyclical Patterns of Government Expenditures in Sub-Saharan Africa; Facts and Factors," IMF Working Papers 09/274, International Monetary Fund.
- Paul Collier & Anke Hoeffler & Dominic Rohner, 2009.
"Beyond greed and grievance: feasibility and civil war,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 61(1), pages 1-27, January.
- Paul Collier & Anke Hoeffler & Dominic Rohner, 2006. "Beyond Greed and Grievance: Feasibility and Civil War," CSAE Working Paper Series 2006-10, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Benno J. Ndulu, 2007. "Challenges of African Growth : Opportunities, Constraints, and Strategic Directions," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6656, July.
- Valerie Cerra & Sweta Chaman Saxena & Ugo Panizza, 2009.
"International Evidence on Recovery from Recessions,"
IMF Working Papers
09/183, International Monetary Fund.
- Valerie Cerra & Ugo Panizza & Sweta C. Saxena, 2013. "International Evidence On Recovery From Recessions," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 31(2), pages 424-439, 04.
- Stephen Cecchetti & Madhusudan Mohanty & Fabrizio Zampolli, 2010. "The future of public debt: prospects and implications," BIS Working Papers 300, Bank for International Settlements.
- Kasekende Louis & Brixova Zuzana & Ndikumana Leonce, 2010. "Africa: Africa's Counter-Cyclical Policy Responses to the Crisis," Journal of Globalization and Development, De Gruyter, vol. 1(1), pages 1-22, January.
- Pedro Conceição & Shantanu Mukherjee & Shivani Nayyar, 2011. "Impacts of the Economic Crisis on Human Development and the MDGs in Africa," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 23(4), pages 439-460, December.
- Valerie Cerra & Sweta Chaman Saxena, 2007.
"Growth dynamics: the myth of economic recovery,"
BIS Working Papers
226, Bank for International Settlements.
- Arbache, Jorge Saba & Page, John, 2007. "More growth or fewer collapses ? a new look at long run growth in Sub-Saharan Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4384, The World Bank.
- Christiaensen,Luc & Demery,Lionel & Kuhl, Jesper, 2010.
"The (Evolving) Role of Agriculture in Poverty Reduction: An Empirical Perspective,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Working Paper W, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Christiaensen, Luc & Demery, Lionel & Kuhl, Jesper, 2011. "The (evolving) role of agriculture in poverty reduction--An empirical perspective," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 239-254, November.
- Augustin Kwasi Fosu, 2009.
"Inequality and the Impact of Growth on Poverty: Comparative Evidence for Sub-Saharan Africa,"
Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series
9809, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- Augustin Kwasi Fosu, 2009. "Inequality and the Impact of Growth on Poverty: Comparative Evidence for Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(5), pages 726-745.
- Fosu, Augustin Kwasi, 2008. "Inequality and the Impact of Growth on Poverty: Comparative Evidence for Sub-Saharan Africa," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- David E. Bloom & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 1997.
"Demographic Transitions and Economic Miracles in Emerging Asia,"
NBER Working Papers
6268, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bloom, David E & Williamson, Jeffrey G, 1998. "Demographic Transitions and Economic Miracles in Emerging Asia," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 12(3), pages 419-55, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rac:wpaper:2011-001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (James Neuhaus)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.