The role of psychological and physiological factors in decision making under risk and in a dilemma
We study the di fference in the result of two diff erent risk elicitation methods by linking estimates of risk attitudes to gender, age, personality traits, a decision in a dilemma situation, and physiological states measured by heart rate variability (HRV). Our results indicate that di fferences between the methods are reflected in a diff erent effect of gender and personality traits. Furthermore, HRV is linked to risk-taking in the experiment for one of the methods, suggesting that emotionally more stressed individuals display more risk aversion. However, we cannot determine if these are signifi cantly related to the diff erence on the results of the two methods. Finally, we find that risk attitudes are not predictive of the ability to decide in a dilemma, but personality traits are. There is also no apparent relationship between the physiological state during the dilemma situation and the ability to make a decision.
|Date of creation:||18 Apr 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.qut.edu.au/research/research-projects/queensland-behavioural-economics-group-qube|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baba Shiv & Antoine Bechara & Irwin Levin & Joseph Alba & James Bettman & Laurette Dube & Alice Isen & Barbara Mellers & Ale Smidts & Susan Grant & A. Mcgraw, 2005. "Decision Neuroscience," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 375-386, December.
- Charles A. Holt & Susan K. Laury, 2002. "Risk Aversion and Incentive Effects," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1644-1655, December.
- John D Hey & Andrea Morone & Ulrich Schmidt, 2007.
"Noise and Bias in Eliciting Preferences,"
07/04, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Glenn W. Harrison & Eric Johnson & Melayne M. McInnes & E. Elisabet Rutström, 2005. "Temporal stability of estimates of risk aversion," Applied Financial Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 31-35, January.
- Jordi Brandts & Orsola Garofalo, 2010.
"Gender Pairings and Accountability Effect,"
Labsi Experimental Economics Laboratory University of Siena
034, University of Siena.
- Eckel, Catherine C. & Grossman, Philip J., 2008. "Differences in the Economic Decisions of Men and Women: Experimental Evidence," Handbook of Experimental Economics Results, Elsevier.
- Anna Dreber & David Rand & Nils Wernerfelt & Justin Garcia & Miguel Vilar & J. Lum & Richard Zeckhauser, 2011.
"Dopamine and risk choices in different domains: Findings among serious tournament bridge players,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty,
Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 19-38, August.
- Dreber, Anna & Rand, David G. & Wernerfelt, Nils & Garcia, Justin R. & Lum, J. Koji & Zeckhauser, Richard, 2010. "Dopamine and Risk Choices in Different Domains: Findings among Serious Tournament Bridge Players," Working Paper Series rwp10-034, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Zeckhauser, Richard Jay & Rand, David Gertler & Wernerfelt, Nils Christian & Garcia, Justin & Lum, Koji & Dreber-Almenberg, Anna, 2010. "Dopamine and Risk Choices in Different Domains: Findings Among Series Tournament Bridge Players," Scholarly Articles 4405460, Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Dohmen Thomas & Falk Armin & Huffman David & Sunde Uwe & Schupp Jürgen & Wagner Gert, 2009.
"Individual Risk Attitudes: Measurement, Determinants and Behavioral Consequences,"
ROA Research Memorandum
007, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- Thomas Dohmen & Armin Falk & David Huffman & Uwe Sunde & Jürgen Schupp & Gert G. Wagner, 2011. "Individual Risk Attitudes: Measurement, Determinants, And Behavioral Consequences," Journal of the European Economic Association, European Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 522-550, 06.
- Dohmen Thomas & Falk Armin & Huffman David & Sunde Uwe & Schupp Jürgen & Wagner Gert G., 2009. "Individual Risk Attitudes: Measurement, Determinants and Behavioral Consequences," Research Memorandum 039, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Dohmen, Thomas J. & Falk, Armin & Huffman, David & Sunde, Uwe & Schupp, Jürgen & Wagner, Gert G., 2011. "Individual risk attitudes: Measurement, determinants, and behavioral consequences," Munich Reprints in Economics 20048, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Dohmen, Thomas J. & Falk, Armin & Huffman, David & Sunde, Uwe & Schupp, Jürgen & Wagner, Gert G., 2009. "Individual risk attitudes: Measurement, determinants and behavioral consequences," Munich Reprints in Economics 20049, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Uwe Dulleck & Jonas Fooken & Cameron Newton & Andrea Ristl & Markus Schaffner & Benno Torgler, 2012.
"Tax Compliance and Psychic Costs: Behavioral Experimental Evidence Using a Physiological Marker,"
CREMA Working Paper Series
2012-19, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Uwe Dulleck & Jonas Fooken & Cameron Newton & Andrea Ristl & Markus Schaffner & Benno Torgler, 2012. "Tax Compliance and Psychic Costs: Behavioral Experimental Evidence Using a Physiological Marker," QuBE Working Papers 001, QUT Business School.
- Chetan Dave & Catherine Eckel & Cathleen Johnson & Christian Rojas, 2010. "Eliciting risk preferences: When is simple better?," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 219-243, December.
- Wakker,Peter P., 2010.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521765015, June.
- Jeffrey Carpenter & Justin Garcia & J. Lum, 2011. "Dopamine receptor genes predict risk preferences, time preferences, and related economic choices," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 233-261, June.
- Armin Falk & Ingo Menrath & Pablo Emilio Verde & Johannes Siegrist, 2011.
"Cardiovascular Consequences of Unfair Pay,"
SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research
380, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Falk, Armin & Menrath, Ingo & Verde, Pablo Emilio & Siegrist, Johannes, 2011. "Cardiovascular Consequences of Unfair Pay," IZA Discussion Papers 5720, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Falk, Armin & Menrath, Ingo & Siegrist, Johannes & Verde, Pablo Emilio, 2011. "Cardiovascular Consequences of Unfair Pay," CEPR Discussion Papers 8463, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Isaac, R Mark & James, Duncan, 2000. " Just Who Are You Calling Risk Averse?," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 177-87, March.
- Michael Daly & Liam Delaney & Colm P. Harmon, 2009. "Psychological and Biological Foundations of Time Preference," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 7(2-3), pages 659-669, 04-05.
- Uwe Dulleck & Jacob Fell & Jonas Fooken, 2011. "Within-subject Intra- and Inter-method consistency of two experimental risk attitude elicitation," NCER Working Paper Series 74, National Centre for Econometric Research.
- Camelia Kuhnen & Brian Knutson, 2005. "The Neural Basis of Financial Risk Taking," Experimental 0509001, EconWPA.
- Hartog, Joop & Ferrer-i-Carbonell, Ada & Jonker, Nicole, 2002. "Linking Measured Risk Aversion to Individual Characteristics," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(1), pages 3-26.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qut:qubewp:wp010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dipa Sarkar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.