Immigrant Job Search In The Uk:Evidence From Panel Data
Most immigrant groups experience higher rates of unemployment than the host countries native population, but it is as yet unclear whether differences in job search behaviour, or its success, can help explain this gap. In this paper, we investigate how the job search methods of unemployed immigrants compare with those of the native born, using panel data from the UK Quarterly Labour Force Survey. We explore the relative effectiveness of different job search methods, between the main native born and immigrant groups, in terms of their impact on the duration of unemployment. Our main finding is that immigrant job search in the UK is less successful, compared to that of UK born whites. However their relative failure to exit unemployment cannot generally be explained by differences in the choice of main job search method or in observable characteristics.
|Date of creation:||15 Jun 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: GPO Box 2434, BRISBANE QLD 4001|
Web page: http://www.bus.qut.edu.au/faculty/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- van den Bergh, Gerhard & van deer Klaauw, Bas, 2001.
"Counseling and monitoring of unemployed workers: theory and evidence from a controlled social experiment,"
Working Paper Series
2001:12, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Gerard J. van den Berg & Bas van der Klaauw, 2006. "Counseling And Monitoring Of Unemployed Workers: Theory And Evidence From A Controlled Social Experiment," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 47(3), pages 895-936, 08.
- van den Berg, Gerard J & van der Klaauw, Bas, 2001. "Counselling and Monitoring of Unemployed Workers: Theory and Evidence from a Controlled Social Experiment," CEPR Discussion Papers 2986, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- van den Berg, Gerard J. & van der Klaauw, Bas, 2001. "Counseling and Monitoring of Unemployed Workers: Theory and Evidence from a Controlled Social Experiment," IZA Discussion Papers 374, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- M. A. Shields & S. Wheatley Price, 2001. "Language fluency and immigrant employment prospects: evidence from Britain's ethnic minorities," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(11), pages 741-745.
- Michael A. Shields & Stephen Wheatley Price, 2002.
"The English language fluency and occupational success of ethnic minority immigrant men living in English metropolitan areas,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 15(1), pages 137-160.
- Michael A Shields & Stephen Wheatley Price, . "The English Language Fluency and Occupational Success of Ethnic Minority Immigrant Men Living in English Metropolitan Areas," Discussion Papers in Public Sector Economics 99/4, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Dustmann, Christian & Fabbri, Francesca, 2000.
"Language Proficiency and Labour Market Performance of Immigrants in the UK,"
IZA Discussion Papers
156, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Christian Dustmann & Francesca Fabbri, 2003. "Language proficiency and labour market performance of immigrants in the UK," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(489), pages 695-717, 07.
- Dustmann, Christian & Fabbri, Francesca, 2000. "Language Proficiency and Labour Market Performance of Immigrants in the UK," CEPR Discussion Papers 2487, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- George J. Borjas, 1994. "The Economics of Immigration," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1667-1717, December.
- Weber, Andrea & Mahringer, Helmut, 2002.
"Choice and Success of Job Search Methods,"
125, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- John T. Addison & Pedro Portugal, 1998.
"Job Search Methods and Outcomes,"
w199808, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Addison, John T. & Portugal, Pedro, 1998. "Job Search Methods and Outcomes," ZEW Discussion Papers 98-41, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Addison, John T. & Portugal, Pedro, 2001. "Job Search Methods and Outcomes," IZA Discussion Papers 349, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Blackaby, David H, et al, 1997. "A Picture of Male and Female Unemployment among Britain's Ethnic Minorities," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 44(2), pages 182-97, May.
- Stephen Wheatley Price, .
"The Unemployment Experience of Male Immigrants in England,"
Discussion Papers in Public Sector Economics
98/10, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Stephen Wheatley Price, 2001. "The unemployment experience of male immigrants in England," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 201-215.
- René Böheim & Mark P Taylor, 2002.
"Job search methods, intensity and success in Britain in the 1990s,"
Economics working papers
2002-06, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- BÃ¶heim, RenÃ© & Taylor, Mark P., 2001. "Job search methods, intensity and success in Britain in the 1990s," ISER Working Paper Series 2001-07, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Leslie, Derek & Drinkwater, Stephen, 1999. "Staying on in Full-Time Education: Reasons for Higher Participation Rates among Ethnic Minority Males and Females," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 66(261), pages 63-77, February.
- Harry J. Holzer, 1986.
"Search Method Use by Unemployed Youth,"
NBER Working Papers
1859, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Baker & Angelo Melino, 1999.
"Duration Dependence and Nonparametric Heterogeneity: A Monte Carlo Study,"
melino-99-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Baker, Michael & Melino, Angelo, 2000. "Duration dependence and nonparametric heterogeneity: A Monte Carlo study," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 357-393, June.
- Leslie, Derek & Lindley, Joanne, 2001. "The Impact of Language Ability on Employment and Earnings of Britain's Ethnic Communities," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 68(272), pages 587-606, November.
- Barry R. Chiswick & Yinon Cohen & Tzippi Zach, 1997. "The Labor Market Status of Immigrants: Effects of the Unemployment Rate at Arrival and Duration of Residence," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 50(2), pages 289-303, January.
- Gregg, Paul & Wadsworth, Jonathan, 1996. "How Effective Are State Employment Agencies? Jobcentre Use and Job Matching in Britain," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 58(3), pages 443-67, August.
- Hatton, Timothy J. & Wheatley Price, Stephen, 1999.
"Migration, Migrants and Policy in the United Kingdom,"
IZA Discussion Papers
81, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hatton, Timothy J. & Wheatley Price, Stephen, 1998. "Migration, Migrants and Policy in the United Kingdom," CEPR Discussion Papers 1960, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qut:pfrijt:2003-2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (School of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.