Unhappy Young Australians: a domain approach to explain life satisfaction change in children
Australian happiness levels are known to decline between the age of 15 and 23 by almost 0.7 on a ten-point scale. To find out what happens before that age, we develop child-specific scales to measure the effect of personality and life satisfaction domains on childhood happiness. With an internet-based survey, we collect unique data from 9 to 14 year old Australian children. We find an even steeper happiness decline before the age of 14. Surprisingly, the "environment" domain has no significant effect on childhood happiness, whilst the children's "school" and "interaction with friends" domains explain over 40% of the decline in childhood happiness. The decline in childhood happiness is steepest when the children transition from lower grade school to high school. As expected, extraverted children are happier, but unexpectedly, so are conscientious children. The paper ends with a discussion of the possibilities for promoting happiness maximising programmes in schools.
|Date of creation:||09 Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.bus.qut.edu.au/faculty/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blanchflower, D.G. & Oswald, A.J., 1998.
"The Rising Well-Being of the Young,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
519, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Blanchflower, D-G & Oswald, A-J, 1997. "The Rising Well-Being of the Young," Papers 16, Centre for Economic Performance & Institute of Economics.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald, 1997. "The Rising Well-Being of the Young," NBER Working Papers 6102, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wang-Sheng Lee & Umut Oguzoglu, 2007. "Income Support and Stigma Effects for Young Australians," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 40(4), pages 369-384, December.
- Aydogan Ulker, 2008. "Mental Health And Life Satisfaction Of Young Australians: The Role Of Family Background ," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(2), pages 199-218, 06.
- Julie Seligson & E. Huebner & Robert Valois, 2005. "An Investigation Of A Brief Life Satisfaction Scale With Elementary School Children," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 73(3), pages 355-374, 09.
- Adrian Bruhin & Rainer Winkelmann, 2009.
"Happiness functions with preference interdependence and heterogeneity: the case of altruism within the family,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 1063-1080, October.
- Adrian Bruhin & Rainer Winkelmann, 2007. "Happiness Functions with Preference Interdependence and Heterogeneity: The Case of Altruism within the Family," SOI - Working Papers 0702, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich, revised Feb 2008.
- Helen Cheng & Adrian Furnham, 2004. "Perceived Parental Rearing Style, Self-Esteem and Self-Criticism as Predictors of Happiness," Journal of Happiness Studies, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 1-21, March.
- Livy Fogle & E. Scott Huebner & James Laughlin, 2002. "The Relationship between Temperament and Life Satisfaction in Early Adolescence: Cognitive and Behavioral Mediation Models," Journal of Happiness Studies, Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 373-392, December.
- Robert Cummins, 1996. "The domains of life satisfaction: An attempt to order chaos," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 38(3), pages 303-328, January.
- Bruce Headey & Ruut Veenhoven & Alex Wearing, 1991. "Top-down versus bottom-up theories of subjective well-being," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 81-100, February.
- Leiser, David & Beth Halachmi, Reut, 2006. "Children's understanding of market forces," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 6-19, February.
- Eirini Flouri, 2004. "Subjective Well-Being in Midlife: The Role of Involvement of and Closeness to Parents in Childhood," Journal of Happiness Studies, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 335-358, December.
- Michael Fordyce, 1988. "A review of research on the happiness measures: A sixty second index of happiness and mental health," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 20(4), pages 355-381, August.
- Alfred Michael Dockery, 2005. "The Happiness of Young Australians: Empirical Evidence on the Role of Labour Market Experience," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 81(255), pages 322-335, December.
- E. Huebner & Robert Valois & Raheem Paxton & J. Drane, 2005. "Middle school students’ perceptions of quality of life," Journal of Happiness Studies, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 15-24, 03.
- Bernard M. S. van Praag & P. Frijters & Ada Ferrer-i-Carbonell, 2001.
"The Anatomy of Subjective Well-Being,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
265, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- E. Huebner, 2004. "Research on Assessment of Life Satisfaction of Children and Adolescents," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 66(1), pages 3-33, April.
- Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi & Jeremy Hunter, 2003. "Happiness in Everyday Life: The Uses of Experience Sampling," Journal of Happiness Studies, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 185-199, June.
- Easterlin, Richard A., 2006. "Life cycle happiness and its sources: Intersections of psychology, economics, and demography," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 463-482, August.
- Eileen Trzcinski & Elke Holst, 2007. "Initial Predictors of Life Satisfaction in Early Adulthood," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 127(1), pages 95-104.
- David Johnston & Michael Nicholls & Manisha Shah & Michael Shields, 2009. "Nature’s experiment? Handedness and early childhood development," Demography, Springer, vol. 46(2), pages 281-301, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qut:dpaper:289. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Fletcher)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.