A single-period model and some empirical evidences for optimal asset allocation with value-at-risk constraints
In this paper, we consider the optimal asset allocation problems under VaR constraints. It is shown that the separation property holds to a certain extent. The optimal allocation of funds in risky assets is dependent on the distribution of the returns of risky assets and the VaR level, but independent of the acceptable loss ratio; the amount to be borrowed or lent at the risk free rate depends on the acceptable loss ratio. A general asset allocation model under VaR constraints is derived. As an application of our model, we address the optimal asset allocation between two categories of assets—bonds and stocks. Interesting empirical results are obtained for the US, Australia and the UK. The empirical results show that the mechanism of asset allocation under VaR constraints is fundamentally different from the classical mean-variance approach. The empirical results appear to support our model and demonstrate the potential usefulness of our approach.
|Date of creation:||20 Mar 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: GPO Box 2434, BRISBANE QLD 4001|
Web page: http://www.bus.qut.edu.au/faculty/economics/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Suleyman Basak & Alexander Shapiro, 1999.
"Value-at-Risk Based Risk Management: Optimal Policies and Asset Prices,"
New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires
99-032, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Basak, Suleyman & Shapiro, Alexander, 2001. "Value-at-Risk-Based Risk Management: Optimal Policies and Asset Prices," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(2), pages 371-405.
- Suleyman Basak & Alex Shapiro, . "Value-at-Risk Based Risk Management: Optimal Policies and Asset Prices," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 6-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Suleyman Basak & Alex Shapiro, . "Value-at-Risk Based Risk Management: Optimal Policies and Asset Prices," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 06-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Arzac, Enrique R. & Bawa, Vijay S., 1977. "Portfolio choice and equilibrium in capital markets with safety-first investors," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 277-288, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qut:dpaper:143. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Fletcher)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.