The estimation of implied volatility from the Black-Scholes model: some new formulas and their applications
This paper provides a more accurate formula for estimating the implied volatilities for at-the-money calls than the existing formula as developed previously by Brenner and Subrahmanyam (1988). New formulas are also given for estimating the implied volatilities of in- or out-of-the-money calls. These formulas are derived mathematically and assessed by using numerical tests. All the new formulas are easy to use and accurate for a wide range of option moneyness and time to expiration.
|Date of creation:||20 Feb 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: GPO Box 2434, BRISBANE QLD 4001|
Web page: http://www.bus.qut.edu.au/faculty/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- N/A, 1996. "Note:," Foreign Trade Review, , vol. 31(1-2), pages 1-1, January.
- Robert C. Merton, 2005.
"Theory of rational option pricing,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,in: Theory Of Valuation, chapter 8, pages 229-288
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Robert C. Merton, 1973. "Theory of Rational Option Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Chance, Don M, 1996. "A Generalized Simple Formula to Compute the Implied Volatility," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 31(4), pages 859-867, November.
- Chambers, Donald R & Nawalkha, Sanjay K, 2001. "An Improved Approach to Computing Implied Volatility," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 36(3), pages 89-99, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qut:dpaper:141. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Fletcher)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.