The Effectiveness of Foreign Exchange Intervention in Australia: A Factor Model Approach with GARCH Specifications
This paper analyses the effectiveness of foreign exchange intervention by the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA). Initially, a latent factor model is used to decompose the volatility of exchange rates into three unobserved factors - world, numeraire and idiosyncratic. Subsequently, the impact of foreign exchange rate intervention is examined by further decomposing the numeraire (Australian) factor into an intervention component and an unobserved component. An indirect estimation approach is employed to facilitate the imposition of GARCH structures on some of the unobserved factors. The empirical results suggest that less than three percent of observed exchange rate volatility is explained by RBA intervention.
|Date of creation:||20 Jan 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.bus.qut.edu.au/faculty/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aguilar, Javiera & Nydahl, Stefan, 2000. "Central bank intervention and exchange rates: the case of Sweden," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 10(3-4), pages 303-322, December.
- Gourieroux, C. & Monfort, A. & Renault, E., 1992.
92.279, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- G. C. Lim & I. R. Harper, 1991. "Official Intervention in the Foreign Exchange Market," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 24(4), pages 67-71.
- Mahieu, Ronald & Schotman, Peter, 1994.
"Neglected common factors in exchange rate volatility,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 1(3-4), pages 279-311, July.
- Ronald Mahieu & Peter Schotman, 1994. "Neglected Common Factors in Exchange Rate Volatility," CEPR Financial Markets Paper 0041, European Science Foundation Network in Financial Markets, c/o C.E.P.R, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ..
- Baillie, Richard T. & Osterberg, William P., 1997. "Why do central banks intervene?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 909-919, December.
- Aigner, Dennis J. & Hsiao, Cheng & Kapteyn, Arie & Wansbeek, Tom, 1984. "Latent variable models in econometrics," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 23, pages 1321-1393 Elsevier.
- Reuven Glick & Michael Hutchison, 1992.
"Monetary policy, intervention, and exchange rates in Japan,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Sep.
- Reuven Glick & Michael Hutchison, 1992. "Monetary policy, intervention, and exchange rates in Japan," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 225-257.
- Reuven Glick & Michael Hutchison, 1993. "Monetary policy, intervention, and exchange rates in Japan," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 93-07, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Francis X. Diebold & Marc Nerlove, 1986.
"The dynamics of exchange rate volatility: a multivariate latent factor ARCH model,"
Special Studies Papers
205, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Diebold, Francis X & Nerlove, Marc, 1989. "The Dynamics of Exchange Rate Volatility: A Multivariate Latent Factor Arch Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(1), pages 1-21, Jan.-Mar..
- Mardi Dungey & Vance L Martin & Adrian R Pagan, 2000. "A multivariate latent factor decomposition of international bond yield spreads," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(6), pages 697-715.
- Dominguez, Kathryn M., 1998. "Central bank intervention and exchange rate volatility1," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 161-190, February.
- Mardi H Dungey, 1999.
"Decomposing Exchange Rate Volatility Around the Pacific Rim,"
1999.12, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Dungey, M. H., 1999. "Decomposing exchange rate volatility around the Pacific Rim," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 525-535.
- Robert Andrew & John Broadbent, 1994. "Reserve Bank Operations in the Foreign Exchange Market: Effectiveness and Profitability," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp9406, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Christopher Otrok & Charles H. Whiteman, 2003. "International Business Cycles: World, Region, and Country-Specific Factors," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1216-1239, September.
- Karunaratne, Neil Dias, 1995. "The Effectiveness of Exchange Rate Intervention in Post-Float Australia," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 48(4), pages 515-536.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Jonathan Kearns & Roberto Rigobon, 2002. "Identifying the Efficacy of Central Bank Interventions: The Australian Case," NBER Working Papers 9062, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qut:dpaper:135. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Fletcher)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.