A Test of Weak-Form Market Efficiency in Australian Bank Bill Futures Calendar Spreads
This paper demonstrates how the presence of a lower interest rate expectations detected in short-term interest rate futures during the 1990’s allowed arbitrage profits when trading intra-commodity spread differentials on the Sydney Futures Exchange’s 90 Day Bank Accepted Bill futures contract. Fama’s (1970) hypothesis on market efficiency cannot be accepted for the test period as statistically significant gross profits were generated by a naïve strategy. The EMH had greater predictive power once transactions costs were deducted. Furthermore, the EMH remained unable to be accepted after the allowance of generous transaction costs.
|Date of creation:||20 Jan 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.bus.qut.edu.au/faculty/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bilson, John F. O. & Hsieh, David A., 1987.
"The profitability of currency speculation,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 115-130.
- B. Wade Brorsen & Louis P. Lukac, 1990. "Optimal portfolios for commodity futures funds," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(3), pages 247-258, 06.
- John Y. Campbell & Robert J. Shiller, 1989.
"Yield Spreads and Interest Rate Movements: A Bird's Eye View,"
NBER Working Papers
3153, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell, John Y & Shiller, Robert J, 1991. "Yield Spreads and Interest Rate Movements: A Bird's Eye View," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(3), pages 495-514, May.
- Shiller, Robert & Campbell, John, 1991. "Yield Spreads and Interest Rate Movements: A Bird's Eye View," Scholarly Articles 3221490, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Brock, W. & Lakonishok, J. & Lebaron, B., 1991.
"Simple Technical Trading Rules And The Stochastic Properties Of Stock Returns,"
90-22, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Brock, William & Lakonishok, Josef & LeBaron, Blake, 1992. " Simple Technical Trading Rules and the Stochastic Properties of Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(5), pages 1731-64, December.
- Boothe, Paul & Longworth, David, 1986. "Foreign exchange market efficiency tests: Implications of recent empirical findings," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 135-152, June.
- Sweeney, Richard J, 1986. " Beating the Foreign Exchange Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(1), pages 163-82, March.
- Tzavalis, Elias & Wickens, Michael R, 1997. "Explaining the Failures of the Term Spread Models of the Rational Expectations Hypothesis of the Term Structure," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(3), pages 364-80, August.
- Brealey, Richard & Schaefer, Stephen M, 1977. "Term Structure with Uncertain Inflation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 277-89, May.
- Stevenson, Richard A & Bear, Robert M, 1970. "Commodity Futures: Trends or Random Walks?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(1), pages 65-81, March.
- Louis P. Lukac & B. Wade Brorsen, 1989. "The usefulness of historical data in selecting parameters for technical trading systems," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(1), pages 55-65, 02.
- Hooker, Mark A., 1999. "The maturity structure of term premia with time-varying expected returns," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 391-407.
- Cargill, Thomas F, 1975. "The Term Structure of Interest Rates: A Test of the Expectations Hypothesis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 30(3), pages 761-71, June.
- Michael Dotsey & Christopher Otrok, 1995. "The rational expectations hypothesis of the term structure, monetary policy, and time-varying term premia," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Win, pages 65-81.
- Lange, Ron, 1999. "The Expectations Hypothesis for the Longer End of the Term Structure: Some Evidence for Canada," Working Papers 99-20, Bank of Canada.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qut:dpaper:134. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Fletcher)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.