A Test of Weak-Form Market Efficiency in Australian Bank Bill Futures Calendar Spreads
This paper demonstrates how the presence of a lower interest rate expectations detected in short-term interest rate futures during the 1990’s allowed arbitrage profits when trading intra-commodity spread differentials on the Sydney Futures Exchange’s 90 Day Bank Accepted Bill futures contract. Fama’s (1970) hypothesis on market efficiency cannot be accepted for the test period as statistically significant gross profits were generated by a naïve strategy. The EMH had greater predictive power once transactions costs were deducted. Furthermore, the EMH remained unable to be accepted after the allowance of generous transaction costs.
|Date of creation:||20 Jan 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: GPO Box 2434, BRISBANE QLD 4001|
Web page: http://www.bus.qut.edu.au/faculty/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cargill, Thomas F, 1975. "The Term Structure of Interest Rates: A Test of the Expectations Hypothesis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 30(3), pages 761-71, June.
- Louis P. Lukac & B. Wade Brorsen, 1989. "The usefulness of historical data in selecting parameters for technical trading systems," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(1), pages 55-65, 02.
- John F. O. Bilson & David A. Hsieh, 1983.
"The Profitability of Currency Speculation,"
NBER Working Papers
1197, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brock, W. & Lakonishok, J. & Lebaron, B., 1991.
"Simple Technical Trading Rules And The Stochastic Properties Of Stock Returns,"
90-22, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Brock, William & Lakonishok, Josef & LeBaron, Blake, 1992. " Simple Technical Trading Rules and the Stochastic Properties of Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(5), pages 1731-64, December.
- John Y. Campbell & Robert J. Shiller, 1991.
"Yield Spreads and Interest Rate Movements: A Bird's Eye View,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(3), pages 495-514.
- Shiller, Robert & Campbell, John, 1991. "Yield Spreads and Interest Rate Movements: A Bird's Eye View," Scholarly Articles 3221490, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John Y. Campbell & Robert J. Shiller, 1989. "Yield Spreads and Interest Rate Movements: A Bird's Eye View," NBER Working Papers 3153, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Dotsey & Christopher Otrok, 1995. "The rational expectations hypothesis of the term structure, monetary policy, and time-varying term premia," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Win, pages 65-81.
- Brealey, Richard & Schaefer, Stephen M, 1977. "Term Structure with Uncertain Inflation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 277-89, May.
- Sweeney, Richard J, 1986. " Beating the Foreign Exchange Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(1), pages 163-82, March.
- Tzavalis, Elias & Wickens, Michael R, 1997. "Explaining the Failures of the Term Spread Models of the Rational Expectations Hypothesis of the Term Structure," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(3), pages 364-80, August.
- Dominic Rechner & Geoffrey Poitras, 1993. "Putting on the crush: Day trading the soybean complex spread," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(1), pages 61-75, 02.
- Boothe, Paul & Longworth, David, 1986. "Foreign exchange market efficiency tests: Implications of recent empirical findings," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 135-152, June.
- B. Wade Brorsen & Louis P. Lukac, 1990. "Optimal portfolios for commodity futures funds," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(3), pages 247-258, 06.
- Lange, Ron, 1999. "The Expectations Hypothesis for the Longer End of the Term Structure: Some Evidence for Canada," Staff Working Papers 99-20, Bank of Canada.
- Hooker, Mark A., 1999. "The maturity structure of term premia with time-varying expected returns," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 391-407.
- Stevenson, Richard A & Bear, Robert M, 1970. "Commodity Futures: Trends or Random Walks?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(1), pages 65-81, March.
- Geoffrey Poitras, 1987. "“Golden turtle tracks”: In search of unexploited profits in gold spreads," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(4), pages 397-412, 08.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qut:dpaper:134. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Fletcher)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.