A Review of Australia’s Compulsory Superannuation Scheme After a Decade
The Australian superannuation system places trustees in the key role of managing superannuation assets and we subject the role of trustee to close scrutiny while identifying the very substantial principal-and-agent problems that exist in the industry. We consider two policy issues: member choice of fund and portability of accumulated balances in the light of how they would improve the ability of individual members to maximise retirement benefits and the efficiency of the system. We argue that the award superannuation scheme which requires, by conditions in industrial awards, contributions of three per cent of wage or salary of an employee continues along side the SG scheme is due for review.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||20 Jan 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.bus.qut.edu.au/faculty/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:eap:articl:v:32:y:2002:i:1:p:49-70 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521481625 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521484718 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michael E. Drew & Jon D. Stanford & Pavlo Taranenko, 2001. "Hot Hands And Superannuation Fund Performance: A Second Note For Trustees," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 20(4), pages 18-25, December.
- Sanford J Grossman & Joseph E Stiglitz, 1997.
"On the Impossibility of Informationally Efficient Markets,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1908, David K. Levine.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1980. "On the Impossibility of Informationally Efficient Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 393-408, June.
- Michael E. Drew & Jon D. Stanford, 2002. "The Economics of Choice of Superannuation Fund," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 102, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Harless, David W. & Peterson, Steven P., 1998. "Investor behavior and the persistence of poorly-performing mutual funds," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 257-276, November.
- Mehra, Rajnish & Prescott, Edward C., 1985.
"The equity premium: A puzzle,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 145-161, March.
- Goetzmann, William N & Peles, Nadav, 1997. "Cognitive Dissonance and Mutual Fund Investors," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 20(2), pages 145-58, Summer.
- repec:eap:articl:v:32:y:2002:i:1:p:35-47 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michael E. Drew & Jon D. Stanford & Damien Hoffman, 2002. "Assets Under Management And Superannuation Fund Performance: A Third Note For Trustees," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 21(1), pages 80-91, 03.
- Michael E. Drew & John Stanford, 2001. "Asset Selection And Superannuation Fund Performance: A Note For Trustees," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 20(1), pages 57-65, 03.
- Mark Grinblatt & Sheridan Titman, .
"Mutual Fund Performance: An Analysis of Quarterly Portfolio Holdings,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
23-88, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Grinblatt, Mark & Titman, Sheridan D, 1989. "Mutual Fund Performance: An Analysis of Quarterly Portfolio Holdings," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62(3), pages 393-416, July.
- repec:eap:articl:v:31:y:2001:i:1:p:25-32 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hazel Bateman & John Piggott, 1999. "Mandating Retirement Provision: The Australian Experience," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(1), pages 95-113, January.
- William F. Sharpe, 1965. "Mutual Fund Performance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39, pages 119.
- Grinblatt, Mark & Titman, Sheridan & Wermers, Russ, 1995. "Momentum Investment Strategies, Portfolio Performance, and Herding: A Study of Mutual Fund Behavior," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1088-1105, December.
- Lakonishok, Joseph & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1992. "The Structure and Performance of the Money Management Industry," Scholarly Articles 10498059, Harvard University Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qut:dpaper:127. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Fletcher)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.