Intraday Patterns in FX Returns and Order Flow
Using a comprehensive high-frequency foreign exchange dataset, we present evidence of time-of-day effects in foreign exchange returns through a significant tendency for currencies to depreciate during local trading hours. We confirm this pattern across a range of currencies and time zones. We also find that this pattern is reflected in order flow and suggest that both patterns relate to the tendency of market participants to be net purchasers of foreign exchange in their own trading hours. Data from a single market maker appears to corroborate that interpretation.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0) 20 7882 5096
Fax: +44 (0) 20 8983 3580
Web page: http://www.econ.qmul.ac.uk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stavros Panageas & Janice C. Eberly & Andrew B. Abel, 2011.
"Optimal Inattention to the Stock Market with Information Costs and Transactions Costs,"
2011 Meeting Papers
102, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Andrew B. Abel & Janice C. Eberly & Stavros Panageas, 2009. "Optimal Inattention to the Stock Market with Information Costs and Transactions Costs," NBER Working Papers 15010, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mende, Alexander & Menkhoff, Lukas, 2006.
"Profits and speculation in intra-day foreign exchange trading,"
Journal of Financial Markets,
Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 223-245, August.
- Mende, Alexander & Menkhoff, Lukas, 2006. "Profits and Speculation in Intra-Day Foreign Exchange Trading," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-339, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Rasmus Fatum & Michael M. Hutchison, 2003.
"Is sterilised foreign exchange intervention effective after all? an event study approach,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(487), pages 390-411, 04.
- Rasmus Fatum & Michael M. Hutchison, . "Is Sterilized Foreign Exchange Intervention Effective After All? An Event Study Approach," EPRU Working Paper Series 99-09, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Angelo Ranaldo, 2007.
"Segmentation and Time-of-Day Patterns in Foreign Exchange Markets,"
2007-03, Swiss National Bank.
- Ranaldo, Angelo, 2009. "Segmentation and time-of-day patterns in foreign exchange markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 2199-2206, December.
- Harald Hau & Massimo Massa & Joel Peress, 2010.
"Do Demand Curves for Currencies Slope Down? Evidence from the MSCI Global Index Change,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(4), pages 1681-1717, April.
- Hau, Harald & Massa, Massimo & Peress, Joël, 2005. "Do Demand Curves for Currencies Slope Down? Evidence from the MSCI Global Index Change," CEPR Discussion Papers 4862, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Breedon, Francis & Vitale, Paolo, 2004.
"An empirical study of liquidity and information effects of order flow on exchange rates,"
Working Paper Series
0424, European Central Bank.
- Breedon, Francis & Vitale, Paolo, 2004. "An Empirical Study of Liquidity and Information Effects of Order Flow on Exchange Rates," CEPR Discussion Papers 4586, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Menzie D. Chinn & Michael J. Moore, 2008. "Private Information and a Macro Model of Exchange Rates: Evidence from a Novel Data Set," NBER Working Papers 14175, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qmw:qmwecw:wp694. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nick Vriend)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.