Competition of E-Commerce Intermediaries
In e-commerce, where information collection is essentially costless and geographic location of traders matters very little, fierce competition between providers of similar services is expected. We consider a model where two e-commerce intermediaries (internet shops) compete for sellers. We show that two non-identical shops may coexist in equilibrium if the population of sellers is sufficiently differentiated in their time preferences. In such an equilibrium less patient sellers choose the more popular (with a higher rate of arrival of new buyers) and more expensive shop, while more patient sellers prefer the less popular and cheaper one.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0) 20 7882 5096
Fax: +44 (0) 20 8983 3580
Web page: http://www.econ.qmul.ac.uk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Horstmann, I.J. & LaCasse, C., 1995.
"Secret Reserve Prices in a Bidding Model with a Re-Sale Option,"
9507e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Horstmann, Ignatius J & LaCasse, Chantale, 1997. "Secret Reserve Prices in a Bidding Model with a Resale Option," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 663-84, September.
- Alexander Matros & Andriy Zapechelnyuk, 2008.
"Optimal Fees in Internet Auctions,"
3, Kyiv School of Economics.
- Zheng, Charles Zhoucheng, 2002.
"Optimal Auction with Resale,"
Staff General Research Papers
12664, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Haile, Philip A., 2000. "Partial Pooling at the Reserve Price in Auctions with Resale Opportunities," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 231-248, November.
- Marco Pagnozzi, 2004.
"Bidding to Lose? Auctions with Resale,"
CSEF Working Papers
116, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 01 Nov 2006.
- Rod Garratt & Thomas Tröger, 2006.
"Speculation in Standard Auctions with Resale,"
Econometric Society, vol. 74(3), pages 753-769, 05.
- Rod Garratt & Thomas Troger, 2004. "Speculation in Standard Auctions with Resale," Microeconomics 0405005, EconWPA.
- Garratt, Rod & Tröger, Thomas, 2005. "Speculation in Standard Auctions with Resale," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 42, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Rod Garrat & Thomas Tröger, 2005. "Speculation in Standard Auctions with Resale," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse10_2005, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Giacomo Calzolari & Alessandro Pavan, 2006.
"Monopoly with resale,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 37(2), pages 362-375, 06.
- Giacomo Calzolari & Alessandro Pavan, 2003. "Monopoly with Resale," Working Papers 2003.20, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Giacomo Calzolari & Alessandro Pavan, 2005. "Monopoly with Resale," Discussion Papers 1405, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Giacomo Calzolari & Alessandro Pavan, 2004. "Monopoly with Resale," Discussion Papers 1393, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Glenn Allison & Drew Fudenberg, 2002.
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1960, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Ellison, Glenn & Fudenberg, Drew & Mobius, Markus, 2010. "Competing Auctions," Staff General Research Papers 32106, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Glenn Ellison & Drew Fudenberg & Markus Mobius, 2010. "Competing Auctions," Levine's Working Paper Archive 506439000000000092, David K. Levine.
- Ellison, Glenn & Mobius, Markus & Fudenberg, Drew, 2004. "Competing Auctions," Scholarly Articles 3043414, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Moldovanu, Benny & Sela, Aner & Shi, Xianwen, 2008. "Competing auctions with endogenous quantities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 1-27, July.
- Stahl, Dale O, II, 1989. "Oligopolistic Pricing with Sequential Consumer Search," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 700-712, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qmw:qmwecw:wp675. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nick Vriend)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.