Teaching Economics As a Science: The 1930 Yale Lectures of Ragnar Frisch
This paper is prepared for the forthcoming publication of Frisch's 1930 Yale lecture notes, A Dynamic Approach to Economic Theory: The Yale Lectures of Ragnar Frisch (details at: http://www.routledgeeconomics.com/books/A-Dynamic-Approach-to-Economic-Theory-isbn9780415564090). As the lecture series was given just as the Econometric Society was founded in 1930. We provide as background, a blow-by-blow story of how the Econometric Society got founded with emphasis on Frisch's role. We then outline how the Yale lecture notes came into being, closely connected to Frisch's econometric work at the time. We comment upon the lectures, relating them to Frisch's later works and, more important, to subsequent developments in economics and econometrics.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0) 20 7882 5096
Fax: +44 (0) 20 8983 3580
Web page: http://www.econ.qmul.ac.uk
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hendry, David F., 1995. "Dynamic Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198283164, March.
- Olav Bjerkholt & Ariane Dupont, 2010. "Ragnar Frisch's Conception of Econometrics," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 42(1), pages 21-73, Spring.
- Olav Bjerkholt (ed.), 1995. "Foundations of Modern Econometrics," Books, Edward Elgar, volume 0, number 46, March.
- Bjerkholt, Olav, 2005. "Frisch'S Econometric Laboratory And The Rise Of Trygve Haavelmo'S Probability Approach," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(03), pages 491-533, June.
- Olav Bjerkholt, 2007. "Ragnar Frisch's business cycle approach: The genesis of the propagation and impulse model," The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 449-486.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qmw:qmwecw:wp665. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nick Vriend)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.