What Kind of Preference Maximization Does the Weak Axiom of Revealed Non-inferiority Characterize?
A multi-valued choice is weak justified if no chosen alternative is dominated by any other obtainable alternative, and for each discarded alternative there is some chosen alternative which dominates it. This definition allows us to build a connection between the behavioral property expressed by the weak axiom of revealed non-inferiority and a weak notion of rationality. Our notion of rationaity is weaker than that characterized by the weak axiom of revealed preference.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: London E1 4NS|
Phone: +44 (0) 20 7882 5096
Fax: +44 (0) 20 8983 3580
Web page: http://www.econ.qmul.ac.uk
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bandyopadhyay, Taradas & Sengupta, Kunal, 2003. "Intransitive indifference and rationalizability of choice functions on general domains," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 311-326, December.
- Richard Blundell, 2005. "Presidential Address: How Revealing Is Revealed Preference?," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 3(2-3), pages 211-235, 04/05.
- Eliaz, Kfir & Ok, Efe A., 2006. "Indifference or indecisiveness? Choice-theoretic foundations of incomplete preferences," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 61-86, July.
- Kim, Taesung, 1987. "Intransitive Indifference and Revealed Preference," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 163-67, January.
- Richard Blundell & Martin Browning & Ian Crawford, 1997.
"Non-parametric Engel curves and revealed preferences,"
IFS Working Papers
W97/14, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Richard W. Blundell & Martin Browning & Ian A. Crawford, 2003. "Nonparametric Engel Curves and Revealed Preference," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 205-240, January.
- Richard Blundell & Martin Browning & Ian Crawford, 1998. "Nonparametric Engel Curves and Revealed Preference," Discussion Papers 99-07, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Richard Blundell & Martin Browning & Ian Crawford, 2002. "Nonparametric Engel Curves and Revealed Preference," CAM Working Papers 2002-04, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- Herzberger, Hans G, 1973. "Ordinal Preference and Rational Choice," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(2), pages 187-237, March.
- Bandyopadhyay, Taradas & Sengupta, Kunal, 1993. "Characterization of Generalized Weak Orders and Revealed Preference," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 3(3), pages 571-76, July.
- Kim, Taesung & Richter, Marcel K., 1986. "Nontransitive-nontotal consumer theory," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 324-363, April.
- Marco Mariotti, 2008. "What kind of preference maximization does the weak axiom of revealed preference characterize?," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 35(2), pages 403-406, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qmw:qmwecw:wp606. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nick Vriend)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.