Productivity And Firm Heterogeneity In Chile
We analyze productivity growth in Chilean manufacturing 1979-2000 using the newly available panel of establishments drawn from the Census of Manufacturing. We examine the contribution to productivity growth of ?internal? restructuring (such as new technology and organizational change among survivors) and ?external? restructuring (exit, entry and market share change). We find that (a) ?external restructuring? accounts for 52% of industry labour productivity growth and 57% of industry TFP growth; (b) much of the external restructuring effect comes from the closing down of poorly-performing plants due to import penetration, and (c) import penetration is also an important determinant of internal restructuring in the long term.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: School of Social Sciences and Cultural Studies, Falmer, Brighton BN1 9SN|
Phone: (01273) 678739
Web page: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/Units/PRU/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Z, Griliches & Jacques Mairesse, 1997.
"Production Functions : The Search for Identification,"
97-30, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Zvi Griliches & Jacques Mairesse, 1995. "Production Functions: The Search for Identification," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1719, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Zvi Griliches & Jacques Mairesse, 1995. "Production Functions: The Search for Identification," NBER Working Papers 5067, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Disney & Jonathan Haskel & Ylva Heden, 2003.
"Restructuring and productivity growth in uk manufacturing,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(489), pages 666-694, 07.
- Disney, Richard F & Haskel, Jonathan & Heden, Ylva, 2000. "Restructuring And Productivity Growth In UK Manufacturing," CEPR Discussion Papers 2463, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jenkins, Stephen P, 1995. "Easy Estimation Methods for Discrete-Time Duration Models," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 57(1), pages 129-138, February.
- Tor Jakob Klette & Frode Johansen, 1998.
"Accumulation of R&D Capital and Dynamic Firm Performance: A Not-So-Fixed Effect Model,"
Annals of Economics and Statistics,
GENES, issue 49-50, pages 389-419.
- Tor Jakob Klette & Frode Johansen, 1996. "Accumulation of R&D Capital and Dynamic Firm Performance: A Not-so-fixed Effect Model," Discussion Papers 184, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Jeremy Greenwood & Boyan Jovanovic, 2000.
"Accounting for Growth,"
RCER Working Papers
475, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Levinsohn, J. & Petrin, A., 1999. "When Industries Become More Productive, Do Firms?: Investigating Productivity Dynamics," Working Papers 445, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Ahn, Sanghoon, 2003. "Technology Upgrading with Learning Cost," CEI Working Paper Series 2003-21, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- repec:fth:michin:445 is not listed on IDEAS
- George S Olley & Ariel Pakes, 1992.
"The Dynamics Of Productivity In The Telecommunications Equipment Industry,"
92-2, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Olley, G Steven & Pakes, Ariel, 1996. "The Dynamics of Productivity in the Telecommunications Equipment Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(6), pages 1263-1297, November.
- G. Steven Olley & Ariel Pakes, 1992. "The Dynamics of Productivity in the Telecommunications Equipment Industry," NBER Working Papers 3977, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Klepper, Steven, 1996. "Entry, Exit, Growth, and Innovation over the Product Life Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 562-583, June.
- Aw, Bee Yan & Chen, Xiaomin & Roberts, Mark J., 2001. "Firm-level evidence on productivity differentials and turnover in Taiwanese manufacturing," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 51-86, October.
- Jaan Masso & Raul Eamets & Kaia Philips, 2004. "Firm Demographics And Productivity Dynamics In Estonia," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 25, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Bee Yan Aw & Sukkyun Chung & Mark J. Roberts, 2002.
"Productivity, Output, and Failure: A Comparison of Taiwanese and Korean Manufacturers,"
NBER Working Papers
8766, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bee Yan Aw & Sukkyun Chung & Mark J. Roberts, 2003. "Productivity, output, and failure: a comparison of taiwanese and korean manufacturers," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(491), pages 485-510, November.
- D. W. Jorgenson & Z. Griliches, 1967. "The Explanation of Productivity Change," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(3), pages 249-283.
- Timmer, Marcel P. & Szirmai, Adam, 2000. "Productivity growth in Asian manufacturing: the structural bonus hypothesis examined," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 371-392, December.
- Harberger, Arnold C, 1998. "A Vision of the Growth Process," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 1-32, March.
- John Haltiwanger, 1997. "Measuring and analyzing aggregate fluctuations: the importance of building from microeconomic evidence," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 55-78.
- Huggett, Mark & Ospina, Sandra, 2001. "Does productivity growth fall after the adoption of new technology?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 173-195, August.
- David H. Good & M. Ishaq Nadiri & Robin C. Sickles, 1996.
"Index Number and Factor Demand Approaches to the Estimation of Productivity,"
NBER Working Papers
5790, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Good, D. & Nadiri, M.I. & Sickles, R., 1996. "Index Number and Factor Demand Approaches to the Estimarion of Productivity," Working Papers 96-34, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Griliches, Zvi & Regev, Haim, 1995. "Firm productivity in Israeli industry 1979-1988," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 175-203, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pru:wpaper:36. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alvaro Herrera)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.