Productivity And Firm Heterogeneity In Chile
We analyze productivity growth in Chilean manufacturing 1979-2000 using the newly available panel of establishments drawn from the Census of Manufacturing. We examine the contribution to productivity growth of ?internal? restructuring (such as new technology and organizational change among survivors) and ?external? restructuring (exit, entry and market share change). We find that (a) ?external restructuring? accounts for 52% of industry labour productivity growth and 57% of industry TFP growth; (b) much of the external restructuring effect comes from the closing down of poorly-performing plants due to import penetration, and (c) import penetration is also an important determinant of internal restructuring in the long term.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: School of Social Sciences and Cultural Studies, Falmer, Brighton BN1 9SN|
Phone: (01273) 678739
Web page: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/Units/PRU/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Levinsohn, J. & Petrin, A., 1999. "When Industries Become More Productive, Do Firms?: Investigating Productivity Dynamics," Working Papers 445, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Zvi Griliches & Jacques Mairesse, 1995.
"Production Functions: The Search for Identification,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1719, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Z, Griliches & Jacques Mairesse, 1997. "Production Functions : The Search for Identification," Working Papers 97-30, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Zvi Griliches & Jacques Mairesse, 1995. "Production Functions: The Search for Identification," NBER Working Papers 5067, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harberger, Arnold C, 1998. "A Vision of the Growth Process," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 1-32, March.
- Richard Disney & Jonathan Haskel & Ylva Heden, 2003.
"Restructuring and productivity growth in uk manufacturing,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(489), pages 666-694, 07.
- Disney, Richard F & Haskel, Jonathan & Heden, Ylva, 2000. "Restructuring And Productivity Growth In UK Manufacturing," CEPR Discussion Papers 2463, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- George S Olley & Ariel Pakes, 1992.
"The Dynamics Of Productivity In The Telecommunications Equipment Industry,"
92-2, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Olley, G Steven & Pakes, Ariel, 1996. "The Dynamics of Productivity in the Telecommunications Equipment Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(6), pages 1263-97, November.
- G. Steven Olley & Ariel Pakes, 1992. "The Dynamics of Productivity in the Telecommunications Equipment Industry," NBER Working Papers 3977, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Griliches, Zvi & Regev, Haim, 1995. "Firm productivity in Israeli industry 1979-1988," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 175-203, January.
- Timmer, Marcel P. & Szirmai, Adam, 2000. "Productivity growth in Asian manufacturing: the structural bonus hypothesis examined," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 371-392, December.
- Aw, Bee Yan & Chen, Xiaomin & Roberts, Mark J., 2001. "Firm-level evidence on productivity differentials and turnover in Taiwanese manufacturing," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 51-86, October.
- Bee Yan Aw & Sukkyun Chung & Mark J. Roberts, 2003.
"Productivity, output, and failure: a comparison of taiwanese and korean manufacturers,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(491), pages F485-F510, November.
- Bee Yan Aw & Sukkyun Chung & Mark J. Roberts, 2002. "Productivity, Output, and Failure: A Comparison of Taiwanese and Korean Manufacturers," NBER Working Papers 8766, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tor Jakob Klette & Frode Johansen, 1996.
"Accumulation of R&D Capital and Dynamic Firm Performance: A Not-so-fixed Effect Model,"
184, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Tor Jakob Klette & Frode Johansen, 1998. "Accumulation of R&D Capital and Dynamic Firm Performance: A Not-So-Fixed Effect Model," Annals of Economics and Statistics, GENES, issue 49-50, pages 389-419.
- Huggett, Mark & Ospina, Sandra, 2001. "Does productivity growth fall after the adoption of new technology?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 173-195, August.
- Jenkins, Stephen P, 1995. "Easy Estimation Methods for Discrete-Time Duration Models," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 57(1), pages 129-38, February.
- Good, D. & Nadiri, M.I. & Sickles, R., 1996.
"Index Number and Factor Demand Approaches to the Estimarion of Productivity,"
96-34, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- David H. Good & M. Ishaq Nadiri & Robin C. Sickles, 1996. "Index Number and Factor Demand Approaches to the Estimation of Productivity," NBER Working Papers 5790, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeremy Greenwood & Boyan Jovanovic, 1998.
"Accounting for Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
6647, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Klepper, Steven, 1996. "Entry, Exit, Growth, and Innovation over the Product Life Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 562-83, June.
- Jaan Masso & Raul Eamets & Kaia Philips, 2004. "Firm Demographics And Productivity Dynamics In Estonia," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 25, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- D. W. Jorgenson & Z. Griliches, 1967. "The Explanation of Productivity Change," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(3), pages 249-283.
- John Haltiwanger, 1997. "Measuring and analyzing aggregate fluctuations: the importance of building from microeconomic evidence," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 55-78.
- repec:fth:michin:445 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ahn, Sanghoon, 2003. "Technology Upgrading with Learning Cost," CEI Working Paper Series 2003-21, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pru:wpaper:36. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alvaro Herrera)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.