Trade Liberalisation and Poverty Dynamics in Vietnam
This paper explores the poverty impact of Vietnam’s trade liberalisation over the 1990s and asks how well they could have been predicted from prior data. We identify policy changes and their major effects on trade and prices. We then seek the effects of these changes in a panel comprising 4,302 households observed in 1993 and 1998. Using a multinomial logit model, we find evidence that trade liberalisation influenced household poverty status and that considering trade effects would help to identify winners and losers a priori. We also find evidence that trade liberalisation reduced poverty substantially over the period 1993-1998.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Apr 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0) 1273 678889
Fax: +44 (0)1273 873715
Web page: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dollar, David & Kraay, Aart, 2001.
"Growth is good for the poor,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2587, The World Bank.
- Eric Edmonds & Nina Pavcnik, 2002. "Does Globalization Increase Child Labor? Evidence from Vietnam," NBER Working Papers 8760, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Simon Burgess & Karen Gardiner & Stephen P. Jenkins & Carol Propper, 2000.
"Measuring Income Risk,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
213, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Simon Burgess & Karen Gardiner & Stephen Jenkins & Carol Propper, 2000. "Measuring income risk," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 51327, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Simon Burgess & Karen Gardiner & Stephen P Jenkins & Carol Propper, 2000. "Measuring Income Risk," CASE Papers case40, Centre for Analysis of Social Exclusion, LSE.
- Simon Burgess & Karen Gardiner & Stephen P. Jenkins & Carol Propper, 2000. "Measuring income risk," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6450, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Burgess, Simon & Gardiner, Karin & Jenkins, Stephen P & Propper, Carol, 2000. "Measuring Income Risk," CEPR Discussion Papers 2512, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Loren Brandt & Dwayne Benjamin, 2002.
"Agriculture and Income Distribution in Rural Vietnam under Economic Reforms: A Tale of Two Regions,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
519, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Dwayne Benjamin & Loren Brandt, 2002. "Agriculture and Income Distribution in Rural Vietnam under Economic Reforms: A Tale of Two Regions," Working Papers benjamin-02-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Belser, Patrick, 2000. "Vietnam - on the road to labor-intensive growth ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2389, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pru:wpaper:17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Russell Eke)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.