The Determinants of Rural Non-Farm Employment in Two Villages of Andhra Pradesh (India)
This paper explains the factors which affect rural non-farm employment in two villages; using primary data from the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh, it analyses the reasons for the variations between an agriculturally-developed village and one which is less developed. The survey, conducted during 1993-94 covered a total of 465 households in Veeravalli and 354 households in Anandapuram villages of two districts of A.P. This paper seeks to test ‘distress diversification’ against ‘ agricultural growth linkages’ as explanations of employment of the propensity of rural people to be involved in the RNFS. Unlike other studies of rural non-farm employment in Asia or Africa, this paper brought together these two opposite hypotheses into a single framework. The data analysis by a detailed household survey on the nature and determinants of the rural non-farm employment supports the hypothesis that growth linkages are the main explanation for high shares in, and the growth of, ‘modern’ RNFE, and distress diversification for ‘traditional’ RNFE. It also demonstrates a strong, significant association between traditional RNFE and low literacy and modern RNFE and high literacy.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Jubilee Building G08, Falmer, Brighton, BN1 9SL|
Phone: +44 (0) 1273 678889
Fax: +44 (0)1273 873715
Web page: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hazell, Peter B. & Haggblade, Steven, 1990. "Rural - urban growth linkages in India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 430, The World Bank.
- Ranis, Gustav & Stewart, Frances, 1993. "Rural nonagricultural activities in development : Theory and application," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 75-101, February.
- Hausman, Jerry, 2015.
"Specification tests in econometrics,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 38(2), pages 112-134.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978. "Specification Tests in Econometrics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-1271, November.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976. "Specification Tests in Econometrics," Working papers 185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Lewis, W Arthur, 1979. "The Dual Economy Revisited," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 47(3), pages 211-229, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pru:wpaper:12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Russell Eke)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.