The Great Escape: A Review Essay on Fogel’s The Escape from Hunger and Premature Death, 1700-2100
In this essay, I review Robert Fogel’s The Escape from Hunger and Premature Death, 1700–2100 which is concerned with the past, present, and future of human health. Fogel’s work places great emphasis on nutrition, not only for the history of health, but for explaining aspects of current health, not only in comparing poor and rich countries, but in thinking about rich countries now and in the future. I discuss Fogel’s analysis alongside alternative interpretations that place greater emphasis on the historical role of public health, and on the current and future role of improvements in medical technology.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (609) 258 - 6403
Fax: (609) 258 - 5974
Web page: http://www.princeton.edu/%7Erpds/index.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anne Case & Angus Deaton, 2005.
"Health and Wealth among the Poor: India and South Africa Compared,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(2), pages 229-233, May.
- Anne Case & Angus Deaton, 2005. "Health and wealth among the poor: India and South Africa compared," Working Papers 169, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Research Program in Development Studies..
- Anne Case & Angus Deaton, 2005. "Health and wealth among the poor: India and South Africa compared," Working Papers 236, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Center for Health and Wellbeing..
- Robert W. Fogel, 2005. "Changes in the Physiology of Aging during the Twentieth Century," NBER Working Papers 11233, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fogel, Robert William, 2000. "The Fourth Great Awakening and the Future of Egalitarianism," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 1, number 9780226256627, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pri:rpdevs:deaton_essayonfogel. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Long)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.