Identifiability of the Stochastic Frontier Models
This paper examines the identifiability of the standard single-equation stochastic frontier models with uncorrelated and correlated error components giving, inter alia, mathematical content to the notion of “near-identifiability” of a statistical model. It is seen that these models are at least locally identifiable but suffer from the “near-identifiability” problem. Our results also highlight the pivotal role played by the Signal to Noise Ratio in the “near-identifiablity” of the stochastic frontier models.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2007|
|Date of revision:||Jan 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- RITTER, Christian & SIMAR, Leopold, 1994.
"Pitfalls of Normal-Gamma Stochastic Frontier Models,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1994041, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ritter, C. & Simar, L., . "Pitfalls of normal-gamma stochastic frontier models," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1272, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Rothenberg, Thomas J, 1971. "Identification in Parametric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(3), pages 577-91, May.
- George E. Battese & Greg S. Corra, 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(3), pages 169-179, December.
- Stevenson, Rodney E., 1980. "Likelihood functions for generalized stochastic frontier estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 57-66, May.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Meeusen, Wim & van den Broeck, Julien, 1977. "Efficiency Estimation from Cobb-Douglas Production Functions with Composed Error," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 435-44, June.
- Greene, William H., 1990. "A Gamma-distributed stochastic frontier model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 141-163.
- Murray D Smith, 2004. "Stochastic Frontier Models With Correlated Error Components," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 121, Econometric Society.
- A. Capitanio & A. Azzalini & E. Stanghellini, 2003. "Graphical models for skew-normal variates," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 30(1), pages 129-144.
- Debdas Bandyopadhyay & Arabinda Das, 2006. "On measures of technical inefficiency and production uncertainty in stochastic frontier production model with correlated error components," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 165-180, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:8032. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.