La política monetaria y su impacto sobre los retornos reales del mercado bursátil chileno
[Monetary Policy and its impact over the Chilean stock market's real returns]
In this article we examined and tested the effects of monetary policy driven by Central Bank of Chile over the Chilean stock market’s real returns for monthly data which spans between I.1996 and XII.2006. Based on a theoretical background, we analyzed the monetary policy from the monetarist and Keynesian points of view, their schemes and economics results. Once we analyzed the stock market in detail, from a sectorial perspective, we applied a GARCH (1, 1) model as a framework, in order to measure the impact that monetary policy has over the Chilean stock market’s real returns under an inflation targeting scheme. The results show a good adherence for real returns modeling in several economic sectors. However, it seems that the degree of adjustment is notoriously altered at those sectors that show a greater volatility. However, we are able to estimate the time that takes to the monetary policy decision to impact stock market’s real returns for each economic activity (Services, Commerce, Manufacturing, Mining, Real State).
|Date of creation:||Sep 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- González, Manuel, 2004. "La Curva de Retorno y el Modelo C-CAPM: Evidencia para Chile," MPRA Paper 309, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Frederic S. Mishkin, 1997.
"Inflation Targeting: A New Framework for Monetary Policy?,"
NBER Working Papers
5893, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Frederic S. Mishkin, 1997. "Inflation Targeting: A New Framework for Monetary Policy?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(2), pages 97-116, Spring.
- Parisi, Franco & Parisi, Antonino, 1998. "Modelos GARCH y la tasa de interés nominal de corto plazo en Chile: Una evidencia empírica," El Trimestre Económico, Fondo de Cultura Económica, vol. 0(260), pages 519-534, : octubre.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1999.
"International Experiences with Different Monetary Policy Regimes,"
NBER Working Papers
6965, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 2000. "International Experiences with Different Monetary Policy Regimes," NBER Working Papers 7044, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mishkin, Frederic S., 1998. "International Experiences With Different Monetary Policy Regimes," Seminar Papers 648, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Mishkin, F.S., 1998. "International Experiences with Different Monetary Policy Regimes," Papers 648, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Vittorio Corbo, 2002.
"Monetary Policy in Latin America in the 90s,"
Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series,
in: Norman Loayza & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Series (ed.), Monetary Policy: Rules and Transmission Mechanisms, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 6, pages 117-166
Central Bank of Chile.
- Christiano, Lawrence J. & Eichenbaum, Martin & Evans, Charles L., 1999.
"Monetary policy shocks: What have we learned and to what end?,"
Handbook of Macroeconomics,
in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 65-148
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum & Charles L. Evans, 1998. "Monetary Policy Shocks: What Have We Learned and to What End?," NBER Working Papers 6400, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum & Charles L. Evans, 1997. "Monetary policy shocks: what have we learned and to what end?," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues WP-97-18, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Robert J. Barro & David B. Gordon, 1983.
"Rules, Discretion and Reputation in a Model of Monetary Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
1079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J. & Gordon, David B., 1983. "Rules, discretion and reputation in a model of monetary policy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 101-121.
- Robert J. Barro & David B. Gordon, 1981.
"A Positive Theory of Monetary Policy in a Natural-Rate Model,"
NBER Working Papers
0807, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J & Gordon, David B, 1983. "A Positive Theory of Monetary Policy in a Natural Rate Model," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(4), pages 589-610, August.
- Andrew T. Levin & Fabio M. Natalucci & Jeremy M. Piger, 2004. "The macroeconomic effects of inflation targeting," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 51-80.
- Francisco Rosende R., 2004. "El marco teórico de la política monetaria," Revista de Analisis Economico – Economic Analysis Review, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines, vol. 19(2), pages 85-117, December.
- Francisco Rosende & Matías Tapia, 2006. "La Caída de la Inflación en Chile: Políticas, Instituciones y Suerte," Documentos de Trabajo 308, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The arbitrage theory of capital asset pricing," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 341-360, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:14392. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.