Institutional and regional factors behind university patenting in Europe: An exploratory spatial analysis using EUMIDA data
Over the past 30 years universities have been increasingly considered as key instruments of regional economic development policy in many countries of the World. Contrary to the US where studying the entire universe of academic institutions is a real possibility thanks to the availability of regularly collected nation-wide information on all universities in Europe no such coordinated data collection efforts are in existence. This is why the EUMIDA database constitutes such a pioneering work. In this paper we take advantage of the availability of the EUMIDA data for scientific investigations. We selected to focus on one specific, widely promoted form of academic entrepreneurship: university patenting. Following what the literature teaches us about the likely institutional and regional level impacts on academic entrepreneurship we utilize EUMIDA information to build as large a sample as possible to study European-wide tendencies of university patenting. Regional level impacts are investigated at the NUTS 3 level, which is in itself a novelty in the literature. This lower level of data aggregation opens the possibility to get closer to the spatial level of metropolitan areas where university-industry interactions most probably take place.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:||Oct 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.krti-en.ktk.pte.hu/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giuliani, Elisa & Arza, Valeria, 2009. "What drives the formation of 'valuable' university-industry linkages?: Insights from the wine industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 906-921, July.
- Attila Varga & Dimitrios Pontikakis & George Chorafakis, 2014. "Metropolitan Edison and cosmopolitan Pasteur? Agglomeration and interregional research network effects on European R&D productivity," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(2), pages 229-263.
- Branco Ponomariov, 2008. "Effects of university characteristics on scientists’ interactions with the private sector: an exploratory assessment," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 33(5), pages 485-503, October.
- Catherine Renault, 2006. "Academic Capitalism and University Incentives for Faculty Entrepreneurship," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 227-239, 03.
- Saul Lach & Mark Schankerman, 2004. "Royalty Sharing and Technology Licensing in Universities," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 2(2-3), pages 252-264, 04/05.
- Attila Varga & Dimitrios Pontikakis & Joaquín M. Azagra-Caro, 2010. "Absorptive capacity and the delocalisation of university-industry interaction Evidence from participations in the EU's Sixth Framework Programme for Research," Working Papers 2010R01, Orkestra - Basque Institute of Competitiveness.
- Réjean Landry & Nabil Amara & Mathieu Ouimet, 2007. "Determinants of knowledge transfer: evidence from Canadian university researchers in natural sciences and engineering," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 32(6), pages 561-592, December.
- Siegel, Donald S. & Waldman, David & Link, Albert, 2003. "Assessing the impact of organizational practices on the relative productivity of university technology transfer offices: an exploratory study," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 27-48, January.
- Van Looy, Bart & Ranga, Marina & Callaert, Julie & Debackere, Koenraad & Zimmermann, Edwin, 2004. "Combining entrepreneurial and scientific performance in academia: towards a compounded and reciprocal Matthew-effect?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 425-441, April.
- Acosta, Manuel & Coronado, Daniel & Martínez, M. Ángeles, 2012. "Spatial differences in the quality of university patenting: Do regions matter?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 692-703.
- Attila Varga (ed.), 2009. "Universities, Knowledge Transfer and Regional Development," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 4250.
- Schartinger, Doris & Rammer, Christian & Fischer, Manfred M. & Frohlich, Josef, 2002. "Knowledge interactions between universities and industry in Austria: sectoral patterns and determinants," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 303-328, March.
- Attila Varga & Dimitrios Pontikakis & George Chorafakis, 2010. "Agglomeration and interregional network effects on European R&D productivity," Working Papers 2010/3, University of Pécs, Department of Economics and Regional Studies, revised Jun 2010.
- Friedman, Joseph & Silberman, Jonathan, 2003. "University Technology Transfer: Do Incentives, Management, and Location Matter?," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 17-30, January.
- Saragossi, Sarina & van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno, 2003.
"What Patent Data Reveal about Universities: The Case of Belgium,"
The Journal of Technology Transfer,
Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 47-51, January.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Sabrina Saragossi, 2003. "What patent data reveals about universities: the case of Belgium," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/6211, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Donald Siegel & David Waldman & Albert Link, 1999. "Assessing the Impact of Organizational Practices on the Productivity of University Technology Transfer Offices: An Exploratory Study," NBER Working Papers 7256, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maryann P. Feldman, 1994. "The University and Economic Development: The Case of Johns Hopkins University and Baltimore," Economic Development Quarterly, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, vol. 8(1), pages 67-76, February.
- Fini, Riccardo & Grimaldi, Rosa & Santoni, Simone & Sobrero, Maurizio, 2011. "Complements or substitutes? The role of universities and local context in supporting the creation of academic spin-offs," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(8), pages 1113-1127, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pec:wpaper:2012/5. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tamás Sebestyén)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.