Real wages and the demand for skilled and unskilled male labour in Ghana`s manufacturing sector: 1991-1995
Real wage rates in Ghana have fallen substantially over the last twenty years. In this paper survey data for the years 1991-1996 is used to assess whether this fall has continued in the 1990s. It is shown that the fall in average real wage rates has continued, the relative wage of skilled labour has risen, the share of skilled wages in total wages has remained constant and the share of wages in value-added has risen. Factor share equations for skilled and unskilled labour are estimated which are consistent with the rise in skilled wages leading to substitution to unskilled labour and with technical regress raising the demand for unskilled labour. Real wage income in the sample has risen over the period.
|Date of creation:||01 May 1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manor Rd. Building, Oxford, OX1 3UQ|
Web page: http://www.economics.ox.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen Machin & A Ryan & John Van Reenen, 1996.
"Technology and Changes in Skill Structure: Evidence from an International Panel of Industries,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0297, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Stephen Machin & Annette Ryan & John Van Reenen, 1996. "Technology and changes in skill structure: Evidence from an international panel of industries," IFS Working Papers W96/06, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Machin, Steve & Van Reenen, John, 1996. "Technology and Changes in Skill Structure: Evidence from an International Panel of Industries," CEPR Discussion Papers 1434, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- John Knight & Lina Song & Jia Huaibin, 1999.
"Chinese rural migrants in urban enterprises: Three perspectives,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(3), pages 73-104.
- Knight, J & Song, L & Huaibin, J, 1997. "Chinese Rural Migrants in Urban Enterprises : Three Perspectives," Economics Series Working Papers 99190, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Horton, Susan & Kanbur, Ravi & Mazumdar, Dipak, 1991. "Labor markets in an era of adjustment : an overview," Policy Research Working Paper Series 694, The World Bank.
- Levy, Victor & Newman, John L, 1989. "Wage Rigidity: Micro and Macro Evidence on Labor Market Adjustment in the Modern Sector," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 3(1), pages 97-117, January.
- Fallon, P R & Layard, P R G, 1975. "Capital-Skill Complementarity, Income Distribution, and Output Accounting," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(2), pages 279-301, April.
- Bound, John & Johnson, George, 1992. "Changes in the Structure of Wages in the 1980's: An Evaluation of Alternative Explanations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 371-92, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oxf:wpaper:wps/1997-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Birds)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.