On the Estimation of Cost of Capital and its Reliability
Gordon and Shapiro (1956) first equated the price of a share with the present value of future dividends and derived the well-known relationship. Since then, there have been many improvements on the theory. For example, Thompson (1985, 1987) combined the "dividend yield plus growth" method with Box-Jenkins time series analysis of past dividend experience to estimate the cost of capital and its "reliability" for individual firms. Thompson and Wong (1991, 1996) proved the existence and uniqueness of the cost of capital and provided formula to estimate both the cost of capital and its reliability. However, their approaches cannot be used if the "reliability" does not exist or if there are multiple solutions for the "reliability". In this paper, we extend their theory by proving the existence and uniqueness of this reliability. In addition, we propose the estimators for the reliability and prove that the estimators converge to a true parameter. The estimation approach is further simplified, hence rendering computation easier. In addition, the properties of the cost of capital and its reliability will be analyzed with illustrations of several commonly used Box-Jenkins models.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/ecs/index.html|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wing-Keung Wong & Meher Manzur & Boon-Kiat Chew, 2003.
"How rewarding is technical analysis? Evidence from Singapore stock market,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(7), pages 543-551.
- Wing-Keung Wong & Meher Manzur & Boon-Kiat Chew, 2002. "How Rewarding Is Technical Analysis? Evidence From Singapore Stock Market," Departmental Working Papers wp0216, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics.
- Wong, Wing-Keung & Li, Chi-Kwong, 1999. "A note on convex stochastic dominance," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 293-300, March.
- Meher Manzur & Wing-Keung Wong & Inn-Chau Chee, 1999. "Measuring international competitiveness: experience from East Asia," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(11), pages 1383-1391.
- Wing-Keung Wong & Robert B. Miller & Keshab Shrestha, 2002. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of ARMA Model with Error Processes for Replicated Observations," Departmental Working Papers wp0217, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nus:nusewp:wp0401. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.