Multihoming and compatibility
This paper analyzes the consequences of multihoming on private and social incentives for compatibility. Multihoming occurs in our model when consumers buy from both of two competing firms so as to capture network benefits. We address whether the ability of consumers to multihome means policymakers do not need to worry about compatibility between ‘networks’.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/ecs/index.html|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Armstrong, 2006.
"Competition in two‐sided markets,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 37(3), pages 668-691, 09.
- Joseph Farrell and Garth Saloner., 1989.
"Converters, Compatibility, and the Control of Interfaces,"
Economics Working Papers
89-130, University of California at Berkeley.
- Farrell, Joseph & Saloner, Garth, 1992. "Converters, Compatibility, and the Control of Interfaces," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 9-35, March.
- Farrell, Joseph, 1989. "Converters, Compatibility, and the Control of Interfaces," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt8161p50b, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Cremer, Jacques & Rey, Patrick & Tirole, Jean, 2000.
"Connectivity in the Commercial Internet,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(4), pages 433-72, December.
- Ralph-C Bayer & Mickey Chan, 2004.
"Network Externalities, Demand Inertia and Dynamic Pricing in an Experimental Oligopoly Market,"
School of Economics Working Papers
2004-08, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Ralph-C. Bayer & Mickey Chan, 2007. "Network Externalities, Demand Inertia and Dynamic Pricing in an Experimental Oligopoly Market," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 83(263), pages 405-415, December.
- Ralph-C Bayer & Mickey Chan, 2004. "Network Externalities, Demand Inertia, and Dynamic Pricing in an Experimental Oligopoly Market," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 108, Econometric Society.
- Ralph C Bayer & Mickey Chan, 2004. "Network Externalities, Demand Inertia and Dynamic Pricing in an Experimental Oligopoly Market," Experimental 0412004, EconWPA.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002.
"Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2014. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," CPI Journal, Competition Policy International, vol. 10.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(4), pages 990-1029, 06.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform competition in two sided markets," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24929, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Shy,Oz, 2001.
"The Economics of Network Industries,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521800952, December.
- Caillaud, Bernard & Jullien, Bruno, 2003. " Chicken & Egg: Competition among Intermediation Service Providers," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(2), pages 309-28, Summer.
- Jeffrey Church & Ian King, 1993. "Bilingualism and Network Externalities," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 26(2), pages 337-45, May.
- Griva, Krina & Vettas, Nikolaos, 2011.
"Price competition in a differentiated products duopoly under network effects,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 85-97, March.
- Griva, Krina & Vettas, Nikolaos, 2004. "Price Competition in a Differentiated Products Duopoly Under Network Effects," CEPR Discussion Papers 4574, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:reg:rpubli:253 is not listed on IDEAS
- de Palma, Andre & Leruth, Luc & Regibeau, Pierre, 1999. "Partial compatibility with network externalities and double purchase," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 209-227, July.
- Armstrong, Mark & Vickers, John, 2001. "Competitive Price Discrimination," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 32(4), pages 579-605, Winter.
- Katz, Michael L & Shapiro, Carl, 1985. "Network Externalities, Competition, and Compatibility," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(3), pages 424-40, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nus:nusewp:wp0314. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.