Changes In Social Welfare In Singapore - 1982-1999
This paper examines the changes in social welfare in Singapore using Labour Force Survey data. To study the changes and dominance, both ordinal and cardinal measures are used. By Lorenz Dominance social welfare in Singapore during 1999 is less than in 1991 while unambiguous conclusion cannot be made on the welfare ranking of 1982 and 1991 or of 1982 and 1999. 1999 ranks first according to the Generalized Lorenz Dominance; however, this criterion is also unable to make any unambiguous ranking between 1982 and 1991. The ranking based on Sen-Dagum-Yitzhaki-Sheshinski Social Welfare Function shows a continuous increase in the social welfare in Singapore. But when a more general Social Welfare Function is used a different ordering might occur.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/ecs/index.html|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shlomo Yitzhaki, 1979. "Relative Deprivation and the Gini Coefficient," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 93(2), pages 321-324.
- Charles M. Beach & Russell Davidson, 1983. "Distribution-Free Statistical Inference with Lorenz Curves and Income Shares," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(4), pages 723-735.
- Amartya Sen, 1976. "Real National Income," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 43(1), pages 19-39.
- Sheshinski, Eytan, 1972. "Relation between a social welfare function and the gini index of income inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 98-100, February.
- Sen, Amartya, 1974. "Informational bases of alternative welfare approaches : Aggregation and income distribution," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 387-403, November.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1983. "Ranking Income Distributions," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(197), pages 3-17, February.
- Peter Gottschalk & Mary Joyce, 1993. "Is Earnings Inequality Also Rising In Other Industrialized Countries?," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 223, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Liu, Pak-wai & Wong, Yue-chim, 1981. "Human Capital and Inequality in Singapore," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(2), pages 275-293, January.
- Bishop, John A & Chakraborti, S & Thistle, Paul D, 1989. "Asymptotically Distribution-Free Statistical Inference for Generalized Lorenz Curves," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(4), pages 725-727, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nus:nusewp:wp0120. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.