Efficiency Criteria and the Sen-type Social Welfare Function
Most of the Social Welfare Functions available in the literature are Paretian, that is increase in anybody's income in the society is welfare augmenting. The Sen type social welfare function possesses this property as well. However, Paretianity is normative criteria and might not be accepted by everybody. This paper has demonstrated this problem of Paretianity and proposes an alternative Social Welfare Function.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/ecs/index.html|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sheshinski, Eytan, 1972. "Relation between a social welfare function and the gini index of income inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 98-100, February.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1973.
"Some further results on the measurement of inequality,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 188-204, April.
- Michael Rothschild & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1972. "Some Further Results on the Measurement of Inequality," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 344, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Dagum, Camilo, 1990. "On the relationship between income inequality measures and social welfare functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 91-102.
- Davies James & Hoy Michael, 1994. "The Normative Significance of Using Third-Degree Stochastic Dominance in Comparing Income Distributions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 520-530, December.
- Hoy, M. & Davies, J., 1991. "The Normative Significance of Using Third-Degree Stochastic Dominance in Comparing Income Distributions," Working Papers 1991-8, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1983. "Ranking Income Distributions," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(197), pages 3-17, February.
- Kolm, Serge-Christophe, 1976. "Unequal inequalities. II," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 82-111, August.
- Kondor, Yaakov, 1975. "Value Judgements Implied by the Use of Various Measures of Income Inequality," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 21(3), pages 309-321, September.
- Kolm, Serge-Christophe, 1976. "Unequal inequalities. I," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 416-442, June.
- Sen, Amartya, 1979. "The Welfare Basis of Real Income Comparisons: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 17(1), pages 1-45, March.
- Shlomo Yitzhaki, 1979. "Relative Deprivation and the Gini Coefficient," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 93(2), pages 321-324.
- Amartya Sen, 1976. "Real National Income," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 43(1), pages 19-39.
- Sen, Amartya, 1974. "Informational bases of alternative welfare approaches : Aggregation and income distribution," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 387-403, November.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Sen, Amartya & Starrett, David, 1973. "Notes on the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 180-187, April.
- Davies, James & Hoy, Michael, 1995. "Making Inequality Comparisons When Lorenz Curves Intersect," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(4), pages 980-986, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nus:nusewp:wp0114. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.