India and the Great Divergence: Assessing the Efficiency of Grain Markets in Eighteenth- and Nineteenth-Century India
By analysing a newly compiled data base of grain prices, this article finds that prior to the nineteenth century the grain trade in India was essentially local, while more distant markets remained fragmented. It was only in the second half of the nineteenth century that market integration accelerated, so that by the end of the century a national grain market had emerged. The paper also contributes to the comparative great divergence debate, in that it rejects, for India, the claim of the California School of ‘Asia’ having reached a similar stage of economic development as Europe before the late eighteenth or early nineteenth century. In a larger context, this contribution can thus be seen as part of the larger counterrevolution against the iconoclasm of the California School.
|Date of creation:||02 May 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.nuffield.ox.ac.uk/economics/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cormac Ó Gráda & Jean-Michel Chevet, 2002.
"Famine and market in Ancien Régime France,"
Open Access publications
10197/368, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Rafael Dobado González & Gustavo A. Marrero, 2004.
"Corn Market Integration in Porfirian Mexico,"
Documentos de Trabajo del ICAE
0402, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Instituto Complutense de Análisis Económico.
- Carol H. Shiue & Wolfgang Keller, 2007.
"Markets in China and Europe on the Eve of the Industrial Revolution,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 97(4), pages 1189-1216, September.
- Keller, Wolfgang & Shiue, Carol Hua, 2004. "Markets in China and Europe on the Eve of the Industrial Revolution," CEPR Discussion Papers 4420, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carol H. Shiue & Wolfgang Keller, 2004. "Markets in China and Europe on the Eve of the Industrial Revolution," NBER Working Papers 10778, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Allen & Robert C. Allen, 2007. "Wages, Prices, and Living Standards in China, Japan, and Europe, 1738-1925," Economics Series Working Papers 316, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Allen, Robert C. & Bengtsson, Tommy & Dribe, Martin (ed.), 2005. "Living Standards in the Past: New Perspectives on Well-Being in Asia and Europe," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199280681, December.
- O Rourke, Kevin H. & Williamson, Jeffrey G., 2002.
"When did globalisation begin?,"
European Review of Economic History,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(01), pages 23-50, April.
- Broadberry, Stephen N & Gupta, Bishnupriya, 2005. "The Early Modern Great Divergence: Wages, Prices and Economic Development in Europe and Asia, 1500-1800," CEPR Discussion Papers 4947, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cormac Ó Gráda, 2005. "Markets and famines in pre-industrial Europe," Open Access publications 10197/447, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- David Clingingsmith & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 2005. "Mughal Decline, Climate Change, and Britainâ€™s Industrial Ascent:An Integrated Perspective on Indiaâ€™s 18th and 19th Century Deindustrialization," Working Papers id:241, eSocialSciences.
- Deepak Lal & Dietmar Rothermund & Erich Weede, 2004. "India," Chapters, in: Political Competition, Innovation and Growth in the History of Asian Civilizations, chapter 6 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Robert C. Allen, 2009. "Agricultural productivity and rural incomes in England and the Yangtze Delta, c.1620-c.1820 -super-1," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 62(3), pages 525-550, 08.
- Jacks, David S., 2005. "Intra- and international commodity market integration in the Atlantic economy, 1800-1913," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 381-413, July.
- Metzer, Jacob, 1974. "Railroad Development and Market Integration: The Case of Tsarist Russia," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(03), pages 529-550, September.
- Roy, Tirthankar, 2011. "Economic History of India, 1857-1947," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 3, number 9780198074175, December.
- Mette Ejrnæs & Karl Gunnar Persson & Søren Rich, 2004. "Feeding the British: Convergence and Market Efficiency in 19th Century Grain Trade," Discussion Papers 04-28, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nuf:esohwp:_068. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maxine Collett)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.