Efficiency of Reserve Requirements as a Monetary Policy Instrument
This paper investigates macroeconomic implications of using reserve requirements as a monetary policy instrument. The result suggests that reserve requirement has not been an efficient instrument. We derive this broad conclusion as this instrument does not have expected effect on the credit activity of commercial banks. Furthermore, reserve requirements increases private foreign debt, while the impact on the foreign liabilities is not statistically significant. In contrast to reserve requirements, 2-weeks repo rate of NBS decreases private foreign debt, and this impact is statistically significant. Core and headline inflations are determined by the exchange rate movements, while the direct effect of reserve requirements and NBS interest rate is not confirmed.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bank of Serbia, 12 Kralja Petra St, 11 000 Belgrade, Republic of Serbia|
Web page: http://www.nbs.rs
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-708, May.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jose De Gregorio & Sebastian Edwards & Rodrigo O. Valdes, 2000.
"Controls on Capital Inflows: Do they Work?,"
NBER Working Papers
7645, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen M & Reinhart, Vincent R, 1999.
"On the Use of Reserve Requirements in Dealing with Capital Flow Problems,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(1), pages 27-54, January.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Reinhart, Vincent, 1999. "On the use of reserve requirements in dealing with capital flow problems," MPRA Paper 13703, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nsb:wpaper:11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maja Mihovilovic)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.