A least squares approach to latent variables extraction in formative-reflective models
In this paper, we propose a new least-squares based procedure to extract exogenous and endogenous latent variables in formative-reflective structural equation models. The procedure is a valuable alternative to PLS-PM and Lisrel; it is fully consistent with the causal structure of formative-reflective schemes and extracts both the structural parameters and the factor scores, without identification or indeterminacy problems. The algorithm can be applied to virtually any kind of formative-reflective scheme, with unidimensional and even multidimensional formative blocks. To show the effectiveness of the proposal, some simulated examples are discussed. A real data application, pertaining to customer equity management, is also provided, comparing the outputs of our approach with those of PLS-PM, which may produce inconsistent results when applied to formative-reflective schemes.
|Date of creation:||04 Mar 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Bicocca degli Arcimboldi 8, 20126 Milano|
Web page: http://www.statistica.unimib.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wilcox, James B. & Howell, Roy D. & Breivik, Einar, 2008. "Questions about formative measurement," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(12), pages 1219-1228, December.
- Diamantopoulos, Adamantios & Riefler, Petra & Roth, Katharina P., 2008.
"Advancing formative measurement models,"
Journal of Business Research,
Elsevier, vol. 61(12), pages 1203-1218, December.
- A. Diamantopoulos & P. Riefler & K.P. Roth, 2008. "Advancing formative measurement models," Post-Print hal-00787421, HAL.
- Vittadini, Giorgio & Minotti, Simona C. & Fattore, Marco & Lovaglio, Pietro G., 2007. "On the relationships among latent variables and residuals in PLS path modeling: The formative-reflective scheme," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(12), pages 5828-5846, August.
- Giorgio Vittadini & Simona Caterina Minotti & Marco Fattore & Pietro Giorgio Lovaglio, 2005. "On the Relationships among Latent Variables and Residuals in PLS Path Modeling: the Formative-Reflective Scheme," Working Papers 20061101, Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca, Dipartimento di Statistica, revised Oct 2006.
- Bruhn, Manfred & Georgi, Dominik & Hadwich, Karsten, 2008. "Customer equity management as formative second-order construct," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(12), pages 1292-1301, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mis:wpaper:20120302. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matteo Pelagatti)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.