Modelling good and bad volatility
The returns of many financial assets show significant skewness, but in the literature this issue is only marginally dealt with. Our conjecture is that this distributional asymmetry may be due to two different dynamics in positive and negative returns. In this paper we propose a process that allows the simultaneous modelling of skewed conditional returns and different dynamics in their conditional second moments. The main stochastic properties of the model are analyzed and necessary and sufficient conditions for weak and strict stationarity are derived. An application to the daily returns on the principal index of the London Stock Exchange supports our model when compared to other frequently used GARCH-type models, which are nested into ours.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Bicocca degli Arcimboldi 8, 20126 Milano|
Web page: http://www.statistica.unimib.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-370, March.
- Pentti Saikkonen & Markku Lanne, 2004. "A Skewed GARCH-in-Mean Model: An Application to U.S. Stock Returns," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 469, Econometric Society.
- Harvey, Campbell R. & Siddique, Akhtar, 1999. "Autoregressive Conditional Skewness," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(04), pages 465-487, December.
- Stelios Arvanitis & Antonis Demos, 2004. "Time Dependence and Moments of a Family of Time-Varying Parameter Garch in Mean Models," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(1), pages 1-25, 01.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1994.
"Autoregressive Conditional Density Estimation,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 35(3), pages 705-730, August.
- Hansen, B.E., 1992. "Autoregressive Conditional Density Estimation," RCER Working Papers 322, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate Hansen's GARCH models with time-varying t-densities," Statistical Software Components RTZ00086, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Luc Bauwens & Sébastien Laurent, 2002. "A New Class of Multivariate skew Densities, with Application to GARCH Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 2002 5, Society for Computational Economics.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien, 2002. "A new class of multivariate skew densities, with application to GARCH models," CORE Discussion Papers 2002020, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Francesco Lisi, 2007. "Testing asymmetry in financial time series," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(6), pages 687-696. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mis:wpaper:20071101. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matteo Pelagatti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.