Deregulated Wholesale Electricity Prices in Europe
This paper analyses the interdependencies existing in the European electricity prices. The results of a multivariate dynamic analysis of weekly median prices reveal the presence of strong integration (but not perfect integration) among the markets considered in the sample and the existence of a common trend among electricity prices and oil prices. This implies that there are no long-run arbitrage opportunities. The latter result appears to be relevant also in the context of the discussion of efficient hedging instruments to be used by medium-long term investors.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Bicocca degli Arcimboldi 8, 20126 Milano|
Web page: http://www.statistica.unimib.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Franses, Philip Hans & Haldrup, Niels, 1994. "The Effects of Additive Outliers on Tests for Unit Roots and Cointegration," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(4), pages 471-78, October.
- Siem Jan Koopman & Marius Ooms & M. Angeles Carnero, 2005.
"Periodic Seasonal Reg-ARFIMA-GARCH Models for Daily Electricity Spot Prices,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
05-091/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Koopman, Siem Jan & Ooms, Marius & Carnero, M. Angeles, 2007. "Periodic Seasonal Reg-ARFIMAGARCH Models for Daily Electricity Spot Prices," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 16-27, March.
- Huisman, R. & Mahieu, R.J., 2001.
"Regime Jumps in Electricity Prices,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2001-48-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Miguel Arranz & Alvaro Escribano, 2004.
"Outliers - robust ECM cointegration tests based on the trend components,"
Spanish Economic Review,
Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 6(4), pages 243-266, December.
- Escribano, Álvaro & Arranz, Miguel A., 2000. "Outliers robust ECM cointegration test based on the trend components," DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS 10142, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
- Knittel, Christopher R. & Roberts, Michael R., 2005. "An empirical examination of restructured electricity prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 791-817, September.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992.
"Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Fabra, Natalia & Toro, Juan, 2005.
"Price wars and collusion in the Spanish electricity market,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 23(3-4), pages 155-181, April.
- Juan Toro & Natalia Fabra, 2002. "Price Wars and Collusion in the Spanish Electricity Market," Economics Series Working Papers 136, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Natalia Fabra & Juan Toro, 2002. "Price Wars and Collusion in the Spanish Electricity Market," Industrial Organization 0212001, EconWPA, revised 31 Aug 2003.
- Natalia Fabra & Juan Toro, 2001. "Price Wars and Collusion in the Spanish Electricity Market," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2001/05, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Byström, Hans, 2001.
"Extreme Value Theory and Extremely Large Electricity Price Changes,"
2001:19, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Bystrom, Hans N. E., 2005. "Extreme value theory and extremely large electricity price changes," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 41-55.
- Niels Haldrup & Morten O. Nielsen, 2004.
"A Regime Switching Long Memory Model for Electricity Prices,"
Economics Working Papers
2004-2, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Haldrup, Niels & Nielsen, Morten Orregaard, 2006. "A regime switching long memory model for electricity prices," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1-2), pages 349-376.
- Franses, Philip Hans & Paap, Richard, 2004. "Periodic Time Series Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199242030, December.
- De Vany, Arthur S & Walls, W David, 1999. "Price Dynamics in a Network of Decentralized Power Markets," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 123-40, March.
- Bruno Bosco & Lucia Parisio & Matteo Pelagatti, 2006. "Deregulated Wholesale Electricity Prices in Italy," Working Papers 20060301, Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca, Dipartimento di Statistica, revised Apr 2006.
- Park, Haesun & Mjelde, James W. & Bessler, David A., 2006. "Price dynamics among U.S. electricity spot markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 81-101, January.
- Harris, D., 1996.
"Principal Components Analysis of Cointegrated Time Series,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
2/96, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Harris, David, 1997. "Principal Components Analysis of Cointegrated Time Series," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(04), pages 529-557, August.
- Breitung, Jorg, 2002. "Nonparametric tests for unit roots and cointegration," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 343-363, June.
- Mount, Timothy D. & Ning, Yumei & Cai, Xiaobin, 2006. "Predicting price spikes in electricity markets using a regime-switching model with time-varying parameters," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 62-80, January.
- Georg Zachmann, 2005. "Convergence of Electricity Wholesale Prices in Europe?: A Kalman Filter Approach," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 512, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mis:wpaper:20061001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matteo Pelagatti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.