Technology Replaces Culture in Microcredit Markets: the Case of Italian MAGs
We collect data from three Italian microcredit institutions, MAG2, MAG4 and MAG6, which operate in Milan, Turin and Reggio Emilia respectively, by targeting two categories of wealthless borrowers: single entrepreneurs and organizations (cooperatives and associations). Evidence shows that organizations repay with higher probability and are charged a lower average interest rate than individuals. We use these findings to construct a lending scheme which consists of granting loans provided that borrowers form production teams (i.e. organizations). We consider a microcredit market with adverse selection à la De Meza-Webb and we verify that both repayment rate and welfare increase, while interest rate falls with respect to individual lending if the above scheme, which we refer to as production team lending, is implemented. Our instrument, like joint liability implemented in rural economies, is able to extract information from borrowers through a peer selection mechanism but, differently from joint liability, fits to urban contexts where borrowers do not know each other and social sanctions are weak.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2006|
|Date of revision:||Sep 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Bicocca degli Arcimboldi 8, 20126 Milano|
Web page: http://www.statistica.unimib.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xavier Giné & Pamela Jakiela & Dean Karlan & Jonathan Morduch, 2010.
American Economic Journal: Applied Economics,
American Economic Association, vol. 2(3), pages 60-95, July.
- Xavier Gine & Pamela Jakiela & Dean Karlan & Jonathan Morduch, 2006. "Microfinance Games," Working Papers 2102, The Field Experiments Website.
- Dean Karlan & Xavier Gine & Jonathan Morduch & Pamela Jakiela, 2006. "Microfinance Games," Working Papers 936, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Gine, Xavier & Jakiela, Pamela & Karlan, Dean & Morduch, Jonathan, 2006. "Microfinance games," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3959, The World Bank.
- Dean Karlan & Jonathan Morduch & Pamela Jakiela & Xavier Gine, 2006. "Microfinance games," Framed Field Experiments 00150, The Field Experiments Website.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont, 2000.
"Collusion and Group Lending with Adverse Selection,"
Development Working Papers
147, Centro Studi Luca d'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 2003. "Collusion and group lending with adverse selection," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 329-348, April.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 2000. "Collusion and Group Lending with Adverse Selection," IDEI Working Papers 95, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Kugler, Maurice & Oppes, Rossella, 2005.
"Collateral and risk sharing in group lending: evidence from an urban microcredit program,"
Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics
0504, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- M. Kugler & R. Oppes, 2005. "Collateral and Risk Sharing in group lending: evidence from an urban microcredit program," Working Paper CRENoS 200509, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Alessandro Fedele, 2006.
"Joint Liability Lending In Microcredit Markets With Adverse Selection: A Survey,"
The IUP Journal of Bank Management,
IUP Publications, vol. 0(2), pages 55-63, May.
- Alessandro Fedele, 2006. "Joint Liability Lending in Microcredit Markets with Adverse Selection: a Survey," Working Papers 20060901, Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca, Dipartimento di Statistica, revised Sep 2006.
- Maitreesh Ghatak & Timothy W. Guinnane, 1998.
"The Economics of Lending with Joint Liability: Theory and Practice,"
791, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Ghatak, Maitreesh & Guinnane, Timothy W., 1999. "The economics of lending with joint liability: theory and practice," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 195-228, October.
- Ghatak, M. & Guinnane, T.W., 1998. "The Economics of Lending with Joint Liability: Theory and Practice," Papers 791, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Maitreesh Ghatak & Timothy W. Guinnane, 1998. "The Economics of Lending with Joint Liability: Theory and Practice," Discussion Papers 98-16, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Michael Kremer, 1993. "The O-Ring Theory of Economic Development," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 108(3), pages 551-575.
- David de Meza & David C. Webb, 1987. "Too Much Investment: A Problem of Asymmetric Information," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 102(2), pages 281-292.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & N'Guessan, Tchetche, 2000. "Group lending with adverse selection," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(4-6), pages 773-784, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mis:wpaper:20060902. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matteo Pelagatti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.