Age-dependent taxation and the optimal retirement benefit formula
This paper presents a comprehensive view of life-time taxation including both explicit taxation through the general tax system and implicit taxation via the retirement benefit formula. Individuals are heterogeneous with respect to productivity. It is shown that the optimal structure of age-dependent taxation can be characterized by a generalized Ramsey formula. Furthermore, the paper derives the optimal retirement benefit formula in the presence of the general tax system.
|Date of creation:||13 Dec 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 7531 88 2314
Web page: http://www.uni-konstanz.de/forschergruppewiwi
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lindbeck, Assar & Persson, Mats, 2002.
"The Gains from Pension Reform,"
712, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Mirrlees, James A, 1971. "An Exploration in the Theory of Optimum Income Taxation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(114), pages 175-208, April.
- Erosa, Andres & Gervais, Martin, 2002.
"Optimal Taxation in Life-Cycle Economies,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 105(2), pages 338-369, August.
- Andrés Erosa & Martin Gervais, 1998. "Optimal Taxation in Life-Cycle Economies," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 9812, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Andres Erosa & Martin Gervais, 2000. "Optimal taxation in life-cycle economies," Working Paper 00-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Monika BÜTLER, 2000.
"Tax-Benefit Linkages in Pension Systems (a note),"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
00.20, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Jean-Marie Lozachmeur, 2006.
"Optimal Age-Specific Income Taxation,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 8(4), pages 697-711, October.
- Gervais, Martin, 2012.
"On the optimality of age-dependent taxes and the progressive U.S. tax system,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 682-691.
- Gervais, Martin, 2009. "On the optimality of age-dependent taxes and the progressive U.S. tax system," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 0905, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Robert Fenge & Silke Uebelmesser & Martin Werding, 2002. "Second-best Properties of Implicit Social Security Taxes: Theory and Empirical Evidence," CESifo Working Paper Series 743, CESifo Group Munich.
- Matthias Wrede, 1999. "Pareto Efficient Pay-as-You-Go Pension Systems with Multi-Period Lives," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 219(3+4), pages 494-503, September.
- Klaus Beckmann, 2000. "A Note on the Tax Rate implicit in Contributions to Pay-as-you-go Public Pension Systems," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 57(1), pages 63-, September.
- Michael Hoy & John Livernois & Chris McKenna & Ray Rees & Thanasis Stengos, 2011.
"Mathematics for Economics,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 3, volume 1, number 0262516225, June.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 2000.
"Why a Funded Pension System is Useful and Why It is Not Useful,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19859, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2000. "Why a Funded Pension System is Useful and Why It is Not Useful," NBER Working Papers 7592, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Fenge & Silke Uebelmesser & Martin Werding, 2006. "On the Optimal Timing of Implicit Social Security Taxes Over the Life Cycle," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 62(1), pages 68-107, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:knz:hetero:0420. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gerald Eisenkopf)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.