Policies in Tertiary Education and the Change in Attendance and Time-to-Degree
This paper investigates the effect of reforms on the time-to-degree and attendance at colleges. My model predicts that with imperfect credit markets imposing tuition fees may raise instead of reducing the time-to-degree. In the final section of the paper, I present a proposal for a reform which incorporates differentiated fees and a credit point system. I derive an optimal fee for maximal attendance in higher education.
|Date of creation:||15 Sep 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: D-78457 Konstanz|
Phone: +49 7531 88 2314
Web page: http://www.uni-konstanz.de/forschergruppewiwi
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hungerford, Thomas & Solon, Gary, 1987. "Sheepskin Effects in the Returns to Education," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(1), pages 175-77, February.
- Heckman, James J, 1976. "A Life-Cycle Model of Earnings, Learning, and Consumption," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(4), pages S11-44, August.
- Epple, Dennis & Romano, Richard E, 1998. "Competition between Private and Public Schools, Vouchers, and Peer-Group Effects," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 33-62, March.
- Thomas J. Kane, 1995. "Rising Public College Tuition and College Entry: How Well Do Public Subsidies Promote Access to College?," NBER Working Papers 5164, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Häkkinen, Iida & Uusitalo, Roope, 2003. "The Effect of a Student Aid Reform on Graduation: A Duration Analysis," Working Paper Series 2003:8, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Zhao, John & Lipps, Garth & Corak, Miles, 2003.
"Family Income and Participation in Post-secondary Education,"
Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series
2003210e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Corak, Miles & Lipps, Garth & Zhao, John, 2004. "Family Income and Participation in Post-Secondary Education," IZA Discussion Papers 977, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lauer, Charlotte, 2000. "Enrolments in higher education in West Germany: the impact of social background, labour market returns and educational funding," ZEW Discussion Papers 00-59, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Walter H. Fisher & Christian Keuschnigg, 2002.
"Public Policy for Efficient Education,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(4), pages 361-390, November.
- Yoram Ben-Porath, 1967. "The Production of Human Capital and the Life Cycle of Earnings," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75, pages 352.
- Audrey Light & Wayne Strayer, 2000. "Determinants of College Completion: School Quality or Student Ability?," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 35(2), pages 299-332.
- Antelius, Jesper, 2000. "Sheepskin Effects in the Returns to Education: Evidence on Swedish Data," Working Paper Series 158, Trade Union Institute for Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:knz:hetero:0418. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gerald Eisenkopf)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.