Snow-white in the land of the rattlesnakes: evaluation of an evaluator
This is a comment on a ranking of German economics departments published by a semi-official institution, the Center for Higher Education Development (CHE). It is shown that the CHE ranking is highly misleading because the publication output is not weighted according to quality. The CHE ranking is compared to the results of four recent ranking studies commissioned by the European Economic Association (EEA) and an earlier ranking of German, Austrian and Swiss economics departments. For the readers from Austria and Switzerland we include in the appendix a "peek preview" of the "EEA rankings" which includes the top-ranked Austrian and Swiss departments.
|Date of creation:||12 Dec 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: D-78457 Konstanz|
Phone: +49 7531 88 2314
Web page: http://www.uni-konstanz.de/forschergruppewiwi
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fabel, Oliver & Lehmann, Erik & Warning, Susanne, 2002. "Vorträge als Qualitätsindikator: Empirische Evidenz der Jahrestagungen des Vereins für Socialpolitik," Discussion Papers, Series I 321, University of Konstanz, Department of Economics.
- Kalaitzidakis, P. & Mamuneas, T.P. & Stengos, T., 2003. "Rankings of Academic Journals and Institutions," Working Papers 2003-8, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- BAUWENS, Luc & KIRMAN, Alan & LUBRANO, Michel & PROTOPOPESCU, Camelia, 2003.
"Ranking economics departments in Europe: a statistical approach,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2003050, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Michel Lubrano & Luc Bauwens & Alan Kirman & Camelia Protopopescu, 2003. "Ranking Economics Departments in Europe: A Statistical Approach," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(6), pages 1367-1401, December.
- BAUWENS, Luc & KIRMAN, Alan & LUBRANO, Michel & PROTOPOPESCU, Camelia, . "Ranking economics departments in Europe: a statistical approach," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1694, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:knz:hetero:0201. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gerald Eisenkopf)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.