Volatility of Stock Market Indices - An Analysis based on SEMIFAR Models
By applying SEMIFAR models (Beran, 1999), we examine 'long memory' in the volatility of worldwide stock market indices. Our analysis yields strong evidence of 'long memory' in stock market volatility, either in terms of stochastic long-range dependence or in form of deterministic trends. In some cases, both components are detected in the data. Thus, at least partially, there appears to be even stronger and more systematic 'long memory', than suggested by a stationary model with long-range dependence.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Fach D 147, D-78457 Konstanz|
Web page: http://cofe.uni-konstanz.de
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://cofe.uni-konstanz.de Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bollerslev, Tim & Ole Mikkelsen, Hans, 1996.
"Modeling and pricing long memory in stock market volatility,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 151-184, July.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Bollerslev-Mikkelson(1996) FIEGARCH models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00173, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Crato, Nuno & de Lima, Pedro J. F., 1994. "Long-range dependence in the conditional variance of stock returns," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 281-285.
- Jan Beran & Yuanhua Feng & Günter Franke & Dieter Hess & Dirk Ocker, 1999. "SEMIFAR Models, with Applications to Commodities, Exchange Rates and the Volatility of Stock Market Indices," CoFE Discussion Paper 99-18, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Beran, Jan & Feng, Yuanhua & Ocker, Dirk, 1999. "SEMIFAR models," Technical Reports 1999,03, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Bollerslev, Tim & Mikkelsen, Hans Ole, 1996.
"Fractionally integrated generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 3-30, September.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Baillie, Bollerslev, Mikkelson FIGARCH results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00009, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J., 1996. "Modeling volatility persistence of speculative returns: A new approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 185-215, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:knz:cofedp:9914. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ingmar Nolte)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.